• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED A lesson in ddr fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
N

nerdlogic

I'm not exactly sure about the fsb ratings that are stated...
If pc2700 is ddr333, does that mean it really runs at half the fsb, only at both the rise & fall of the clock? meaning that the fsb is actually running at 166mhz, but ddr rates it to 333mhz? someone help me out here...

also, what sort of oc can i expect with a crucial pc2700? (note that I have not yet bought the ram).

i see...well, essentially, my mobo is rated to do 233 fsb, & so is my processor, but can I effectively o/c the ram that high? I've not yet started testing, since I still have to get more parts for the full upgrade...so I'm still getting more parts of rmy rig.

it will be very unlikely that you can get pc2700 to do 233fsb or 466 mhz. unless it's really good stuff. and i don't think you'll be able to get a xp 2100 to 233 mhz fsb. since correct me if i'm wrong the mulitpliers below 13 are locked.

Crucial is not known for fsb overclocking.

btw, the reason DDR is labeled by its bandwidth (PC2100) instead of fsb (DDR266) is because it's running two operations per cycle but isn't literally doubling the fsb's speed. In other words it really isn't going 266fsb so calling it DDR266 is going to be confusing when fsb approaches an actual 256MHz. It just produces double the bandwidth (memory accesses) of "regular" PC133 memory). I'm pretty sure it doesn't even technically do that because of other limitations in the way computers work.

Last edited:
i see...well, I guess I can just see what I can get so I can have the fsb in synch.

Back