• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FNG2

Registered
Not too long ago my tbird 1.33 axia y on an asus a7m266 started acting a little funny. Every once in a while it wouldn't post when I turned the machine on. The problem got progressively worse until I couldn't get the machine to post at all. I decided to take the 1.33 off the board and put a Duron in it's place. It was about 3-4 weeks before the Duron began exhibiting the exact same behavior. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible that my memory could have somehow worked for that long with the duron. What do you all think about this?

I have pc2100 (256MB DDR266) but one of the bootup screens that shows total system specs said it was pc-1600. With the duron in place the machine would also boot to different parts of the boot sequence sometimes getting all the way to windows and letting me start explorer before locking up. Other times I simply got the siren as soon as I hit the power button.

Right now I'm running the tbird I thought was broken on a microstar board which I know for a fact has some bad memory. My guess right now is memory but I'm reluctant to shell out the $$ to replace it without first being at least somewhat sure. So, is it possible that my memory worked with the duron for 3-4 weeks after its refusal to work with the tbird any longer? Is it the mobo? Are both chips shot?

Back