• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to tell what kinda memory a mobo can take?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RazNips

Registered
My friend (he lives about an hour away) doesnt know what kinda memory his old puter has in it. I was lookin around on my computer in windows and cant find my type either. I never had this problem because i build my stuff.... but i just cant find it. Where can he find what type he has right now?

well I would normally look at the motherboard and see what chipset it has, if you dont know the chipset then look it up - sure way of finding out...you may be able to guess it from how old the pc is and what it looks like...

also downloading things like AIDA, Sisoft Sandra should tell you under the motherboard section what memory it will take (although they tend to get alot wrong in terms of how many slots you have and how much is the max a slot can take)

Doesn't the memtest freeware identify the exact memory specification?

SiSoft Sandra should also give you enough information to determine the type of memory.

Look at the memory slots. If they are keyed once then they are DDR. If they have 2 keys they are SDR. By key i mean the little tab in the bottom of the slot that matches up to the notch in the ram.

A 72 pin SIMM is keyed once... So is a 30 pin SIMM. Doesn't mean it's DDR..

Plus there is some SDR Dimm's that only have one key (5V or buffered RAM not sure which).

What your looking for is pin count...

164? pins is normal PCxxx SDR SDRAM. While 184 pins is DDR SDRAM.

72 pin SIMMs and 30 pin SIMMs are obvious...

If you're too lazy to read the sticker on the RAM module, or count the pins, use SiSoft Sandra's Motherboard Info tool, it will list the type and specifications of the RAM.

Back