• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's up? Kingston PC2700 with Kingston chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ian

In various local forums, people reported that they are getting Kingston (ValueRAM) PC2700 which has Kingston laballed RAM chips! What's up? I thought Kingston doesn't manufacture any RAM chips but rather buy chips from other companies and put them on to their own modules.

Anyone have a clue? I'm getting mad lately whether to get Samsung or Kingston, it appears that I will get Samsung because people are saying the Kingston chips are no good for overclocking.

i bought a stick of kingston PC2700 earlier this year and it has some good samsung chips on it, i dont think they do make their own memory, perhaps they just labeled it as their own?

LittlePiggie said:
dell rebadges monitors, why not kingston stamp "kingston" on the chips?

But they didn't do this remarking stuff before with the RAM chips, like we could still see Winbond, Samsung on their older modules...... Could this mean they are trying to hide something? Like those are probably inferior chips which won't overclock good and so the remarking, since I have read in local Hong Kong forums where people complained how bad the Kingston chips do.

I've got Kingston Value Ram with the Kingston labled chips. It rocks, just like the Winbond variety. Either seems to be good for 428-436MHz on 845e boards at 2.7V. 2-3-3-7 in most cases. I suspect they are made by Winbond, as they run just alike. I have a 256MB stick in my machine now, and I had a 512MB stick with the same chips that did 432MHz easily. Shouldn't have sold that one...

The short answer? The Kingston chips stomp Samsung and nearly anything else. Considering this is the cheapest ram around, and with these chips runs like XMS3200C2, there is no better value.

ditto to larva

however the new kingston isn't using the good chips anymore.

Yep, I got a Value Ram 2700 512MB from newegg a week ago that was Nanya 6ns. Blech. But for a person staring at Kingston chipped VR 2700 and asking "is it good", the answer is an emphatic YES!

Last edited:
larva said:
I've got Kingston Value Ram with the Kingston labled chips. It rocks, just like the Winbond variety. Either seems to be good for 428-436MHz on 845e boards at 2.7V. 2-3-3-7 in most cases. I suspect they are made by Winbond, as they run just alike. I have a 256MB stick in my machine now, and I had a 512MB stick with the same chips that did 432MHz easily. Shouldn't have sold that one...

The short answer? The Kingston chips stomp Samsung and nearly anything else. Considering this is the cheapest ram around, and with these chips runs like XMS3200C2, there is no better value.

larva,
Could you post some pic of the RAM chips or just post the markings on your RAM? Since most of the Kingston modules are now utilising the 'Kingston' chips, I'm just curious to know more about your stick. Cheers :)

Ian said:

larva,
Could you post some pic of the RAM chips or just post the markings on your RAM? Since most of the Kingston modules are now utilising the 'Kingston' chips, I'm just curious to know more about your stick. Cheers :)
i'd take a pic of mine but my camera hasn't arrived yet. :(

Ian said:

larva,

They bear the numbers D328DW-60. Speculation is the W stands for Winbond. There are other Kingston labled chips that have numbers that differ only in this respect. I've seen D328DM-60 that didn't do as well.

Back