• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Page file size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow...1.5GB of pagefile?
Why so big?
I just read the other thread ("Virtual memory") and ppl are saying that it should only be as big as it needs to.

I was just saying that much to be on the safe side. You could try setting the swap file to only 200 mb or so and see if any issues arise, and if so, just up the size a little. I know I can run Win98 with 512mb of memory and no swap file without any performance issues whatsoever, but I don't do a lot of multitasking or work with databases/spreadsheets or anything of that sort.

How to Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP MSKB - 3144

SUMMARY

The paging file (Pagefile.sys) is a hidden file on your computer's hard disk that Windows XP uses as if it were random access memory (RAM). The paging file and physical memory comprise virtual memory. By default, Windows stores the paging file on the boot partition (the partition that contains the operating system and its support files). The default, or recommended, paging file size is equal to 1.5 times the total amount of RAM. This article discusses how you can configure the paging file for system optimization and recovery.

To enhance performance, move the paging file to a different partition. When the paging file is on the boot partition, Windows must perform disk reading and writing requests on both the system folder and the paging file. When the paging file is moved to a different partition, there is less competition between reading and writing requests.

However, if you completely remove the paging file from the boot partition, Windows cannot create a dump file (Memory.dmp) in which to write debugging information in the event that a kernel mode STOP error message occurs. This can lead to extended downtime if a debug procedure is necessary to troubleshoot the STOP error message.

The optimal solution is to create one paging file that is, by default, stored on the boot partition, and then create one paging file on another, less frequently accessed partition. Additionally, it is optimal to create the second paging file so that it exists on its own partition, with no data or operating-system-specific files. By design, Windows uses the paging file on the less frequently accessed partition over the paging file on the more heavily accessed boot partition. An internal algorithm is used to determine which paging file to use for virtual memory management.

When you place a paging file on its own partition, the paging file does not become fragmented, and this counts as another definite advantage. If a paging file resides on a partition that contains other data, it may experience fragmentation as it expands to satisfy the extra virtual memory that is required. An unfragmented paging file leads to faster virtual memory access and greater likelihood of a dump-file capture that is free of significant errors.

If you follow the preceding recommendations, you meet the following paging file configuration goals for optimization and recovery:
  • The system is properly configured to capture a Memory.dmp file if the computer experiences a kernel mode STOP error.
  • The paging file on the less frequently accessed partition is used most often because it is on a partition that is least busy.

READ EVERYTHING TWICE ;)

Sweet :)
Thanks for the info.

So would this also work if instead of being on a second partition, its on a second hard drive? Or would this slow it down??

If that second hard drive had nothing else on it, sure...but as soon as some other data gets on there, it starts fragmenting as the pagefile changes size.

Seperate partition is the way to go.

In it's own partition & in its own HDD. If you have a second HDD make 2 partitions 1st one being for the page file & the second for data.

Okay, I have been running my page file on its own partition on a second hdd and I have no page files on my main hdd where the os is.

However, I just re-read that article:

The optimal solution is to create one paging file that is, by default, stored on the boot partition, and then create one paging file on another, less frequently accessed partition. Additionally, it is optimal to create the second paging file so that it exists on its own partition, with no data or operating-system-specific files. By design, Windows uses the paging file on the less frequently accessed partition over the paging file on the more heavily accessed boot partition. An internal algorithm is used to determine which paging file to use for virtual memory management.

and realised that it says you should have a page file on the boot partition as well?

How big should this page file be? The page file on my 2nd hdd is 1.5 times my physical memory.

i didnt feel like reading all that , but ussually 1.5 times ram, page file even though i have win2k i set it at 1gig for me on my second drive, with another partition.

I have my system configure my pagefile size. Not only does it make your pagefile stretchable, but it is also generally faster for the system. Black Viper's recommendation. I've also heard that the pagefile is best suited to a drive or partition which isn't using memory intensive programs, such as a boot drive or empty drive; never on a game drive or partition.

-Overcrocked

Having a stretchable page file is bad ain't it? It degrades performance as the system has to adjust the page file.

As long as it's on a seperate drive or partition, it will have no effect on a performance hungry program. Like I said before: letting Windows take care of the pagefile will also give you the best performance out of your pagefile options. Likely the pagefile won't have to be stretched [unless a program is a real system hog], but if it's static, look forward to your program crashing.

-Overcrocked

Last edited:
Back