• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pc 3200??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uberpitt

Registered
Just bought some ram.. supposebly pc3200 tryin to run 2 with dual ddr, cant really check because of a builton heat spreader. Just wanted to make sure it can really run at least 333mhz fsb.... So I set my 2400+ at 166mhzx12.0 to produce the same 2000mhz and just test out the memory at 333mhz fsb on my a7n8x mobo, once I rebooted I received the message: system failed memory test.. had the memory by spd 100% so its running at 166 and the timming on auto.. The memory should work no? do I have to adjust the timings? im new to the memory business , am I doing anything wrong or could the ram be only 266mhz capable? Thanks.

you might want to give it a little extra voltage and see if it will run although there should be no reason at all for 3200 mem to fail at 2700 speeds unless ur auto has it set to some reallt stupid timings, to check just set ur timings manually and make all the numbers higher (higher is less aggressive)

Still nothing..

Set the timing as highest as possible hehe... and received the same message, how exactly does it work, the cpu and memmory frequency must be both at 166 to get memory bandwidth at pc2700?? For whats its worth I tried my cpu at 133mhz and memory and 166mhz and still no go, any other solutions? thanks.

That sucks, sounds like you have bad ram there.
To get memory bandwidth to be 166mhz (DDR333, PC2700) it only needs to be the memory bus that runs at that spped. Ie you can run your proc on a 133bus, and memory on a 166bus. Problem is that creates a bottleneck and you are definetely better to run a synchronous 166FSB or even 200FSB on both CPU and RAM for the fastest system.
If your board will boot OK with other ram I suggest you RMA the sticks you bought, what make are they? Generic PC3200 may be PC2700 with an extra 0.1v and lower cas ratings.....

Back