• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is PC 2700 333MHz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acclu97

Registered
I just downloaded wcpuid and it sais that my system bus is 286.99 MHz. Does this value indicate the speed of your ram? If so, why is it 286.99 when ddr pc270 is supposed to be 333MHz? Thanks

Make sure your ram setting is set to sync, NOT AUTO, make it 100, and then set your ram speed to 166 and it will be 333 hense 166x2 = 333

I went into bios and then into my ram settings but I dont have an option to adjust my ram speed there. There is the cas latency feature, ras to cas delay, etc... but I cannot find anything that will let me increase my ram speed. My mobo is an msi kt3 ultra.

thanks

Darn I'm not familair with that board, the idea is to run your ram in sync with teh fbs is I remember correctly, then once that is done you want your ram running at 166mhz, given it's ddr will give you 333mhz.

Well I noticed that my ram speed goes up as I increase my fsb to oc my cpu. When I overclock to a fsb of 143, system bus reads 289.99, when at 140, I get 280.99. So, this would mean that if I didnt have my cpu overclocked, the default ram speed would be 266, which is pc2100 BUT, I have 2700. Anybody know what is going on? I dont think I understand how all this works.

if your ram is going up when you increase the FSB, check how much it's going up, if it's going up the same as the FSB then your in SYNC.

Sinse your using pc2700 you want to start with your fsb at 166, which is default, keep ur cpu multiplier at whatever setting is needed to keep the cpu running as close to stock as possible. Then turn the FSB up more and more till you max it out and can go no further. Keep in mind, turn your multiplier down as you turn your fsb up, you want the CPU as close to stock as you can ALWAYS when testing the ram, because you don't want your system to crash thinking your ram can't go any further when in fact your CPU was the problem get my point?

Now once you find the ROOF of your ram, set it as high as you can but still stable. Then work on your CPU, by changing the multiplier and vcore. And finally you can fine tune the cpu using the fsb, say if your multiplier is 10, and your fsb is 170 that means cpu is running at 1700mhz. If you change fsb to 171 that gives you 15 more mhz on teh cpu.

Sounds harder than it really is.

This is simple. In WCPUID, system bus is referencing your FSBx2. If your ram is set to sync, this will also be your ram speed, but not necessarily is it your ram speed now. You will notice the system bus setting is exactly twice your FSB as shown in the system clock field. Go up to the top of WCPUID. Under the close window X (you know, minimize, maximize, close) you'll see a little ">" symbol. Click this. Now you'll see how much memory, and at what frequency it is operating at. If you're set to sync, this will be the same as system clock. Multiply by 2 to get the DDR frequency. I'm betting it's 140, the same as your FSB. Simply put, you're underclocking your RAM. If you have options to run your memory at speeds greater than your FSB (out of sync) don't use em. The speed advantage you gain on memory isn't worth the performance loss as a whole.

in the bios options, look for an option who's value is: HCLCK or HCLCK+33 or HCLCK+66.

in my KT3 Ultra ARU it's called that.

A little confused? If I am indeed running my ram in sync, and thus underclocking it, what is the point of me getting pc2700 ram when I can only run it at about 2100 speeds? I found the HCLCK and HCLCK +33 options in my bios. I take it that putting it at +33 would increase the fsb on the ram 33 over that of the cpu? This would mean that if the fsb of the cpu was at 133, the ram would be at 166? But, why would I lose performance by having the ram and the cpu wun at different speeds.

From my understnading, it is only worth getting high speed ram if you can overclock your system to a high enough fsb so that your ram can run at the speed it is supposed to?????

So Confused...

hehe, thus the virtue of a 5/1 divisor. right now I have my system at 9x multi and 190 fsb. samsung pc2700 ctl.

make sure your chip is unlocked and put the multi at rediculously low levels and up your fsp to rediculously high levels ;) you'll eat up your 2700 in no time.

But, why would I lose performance by having the ram and the cpu wun at different speeds

As I understand it, when your ram is running faster than the CPU, its more work for your computer to deal with the speed difference. Performance is negatively affected by the fact that the chipset has to work harder to deal with the different speeds and throttle the delivery to the CPU.

papa if i got this right if my system bus running at 341. then im overclocking my ramm to much and the cpu is working to hard to keep up

LittlePiggie said:
hehe, thus the virtue of a 5/1 divisor. right now I have my system at 9x multi and 190 fsb. samsung pc2700 ctl.

Do you mean 1/5 divisor?

bknight said:
papa if i got this right if my system bus running at 341. then im overclocking my ramm to much and the cpu is working to hard to keep up

On the contrary, many people have their ddr 333 running at, or close to, ddr 400 (pc 3200) speeds. This is what overclocking is all about, getting more performance from the equipment you already own. The same goes for your CPU. Overclocking does stress the components a little, but the effect isn't negative on performance. And to tell the truth, I doubt your equipment is even running at it's full potential. There's a lot more speed in there. Basically, if you're stable, and your temps look good, you're fine.

I have a KT3 Ultra 2 with 512mb of Samsung DDR333 (pc2700) and an unlocked Palomino 2000+.

Originally, the day I first booted the (then new) machine, I was running cpu at stock 12.5x133 and the memory at 166mhz, or 'by SPD' via bios. (I think it's listed as frequency in the Dram timings page of bios, it's like 2nd or 3rd from the top, ABOVE the cas setting.)

The KT3 ultra 2 does have a 1/5th divider, so if you unlock your chip, or you're running a tbred, you can lower your multi and increase your cpu's fsb and set the ram's speed 'hst clk'.

Currently, I'm running at 10x180, with the ram synchronous. (asynchronous timing means that both reads and writes must wait until either the cpu or the ram is receptive, which it might not be at that given nanosecond because of clock differences.)

I know it's a synthetic benchmark, but Sandra's Cache and Mem benchmark reported greater than 25% increase in performance by increasing FSB and syncing the ram at 180/180 mhz vs 133/166.

Btw, the KT3 Ultra is a good board, and overclock friendly. I highly recommend unlocking and shooting for the stars if you have pc2700, odds are very good you can hit 180mhz at cas 2.5 (maybe cas2 if your ram is very good). I can do cas2 at 166mhz, but I haven't compared 11x166 cas2 to 10x180 cas2.5 to see which i like better. I think I just like waking up and saying '180 front side bus' every morning.

no the kt3 ultra won't let you run async past 333. hclck+33 is 166 if your at 133fsb, 133 if your at 100. hclck+66 is not available if your running 133, and sets the ram to 166 if your at 100.

Back