• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel or PC3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Would it be wiser to go with dual channel pc2100 (the fastetst dc-ddr speed available so far i think) or pc3200 at 400 mhz?

well i think an Nforce board can technically do 2x2700. however peeps are still able to run 200fsb in dual channel mode. id get the pc3200 and add more later if need be, or if you got the money get two pc3200 of the the same sticks.

dreamtfk said:

Is 256x2 better than 512x1?

One stick is usually better then two when overclocking. As most others have said, PC3200 will be much more beneficial then Dual DDR PC2100. Dual DDR only offers a small performance gain.

depends on who you talk to. dual channel adds like 7-12 percent improvement in bandwidth.not great, but not bad. 256m chips also SEEM to overclock better, imop, but 2 chips are usually harder to overclock than one. now a single 512 stick has a downside, in a sense, that is it may not clock as well as a single 256 chip, but to counter that you only have one chip, which is generally more stable than 2. now mind you, when i say stability i mean at high overclocks, not runnin in spec. so for me the answer would be " how much ram do i want to end up with" if its 512m then id get 2x256, if it were a gig id get 1x512 now adn then try to find a exact match for it later to=1gig. as for the whole dual channel thing, i dunno, to me its not a big enough factor to really come into play on my decision. if i can end up with 2 sticks, then wohoo!! i get a slight bandwidth increase. if i only end up with one, wohoo!! ill probably be able to hit a slightly higher fsb.

Because it seems that any board incorporating the dual-channel technology is anywhere from $75 to $100 more. Im looking for a board with 533fsb 8x agp and pc3200.

I am a loyal Asus customer but I can't seem to find one with pc3200 support. The P4PE looks good but no 8x AGP. I just hate to have to buy all new memory since the dual channel could extend the performance of the pc2100 I currently have (768mb).

Last edited:
Back