• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Problems! Need help quick.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anton

I received a stick of 512 MB DDR PC2100 RAM off eBay.
While I was waiting for this RAM to arrive, I *tried* to use a stick of 256mb Kingston Value RAM, PC2100.
The kingston gave me nothing but problems. I get the same damn problems with this new ram I got.

Problems with Kingston RAM:
-Sometimes get beep code for no ram detected
- Windows won't boot, just restarts itself before it reaches desktop
- When windows does boot, crashes immidately if I try to do anything, or just reboots.
- Have to uninstall video card drivers in safe mode before I can use normal mode. While in normal mode, try to install video card drivers and it crashes, or doesn't reach desktop at all, or gives me a weird screen image,
- Sometimes when turning on computer, automatically goes to BIOS setup.

New eBay ram:
- No more "No memory beep codes"
- Hasn't automatically went into the BIOS setup yet
- Seems to do everything else I listed still.

Before I even tried the Kingston Ram, I had been using some AZEN 256mb DDR... It worked okay.

If I try to reinstall windows XP, in the blue setup screen, at the bottom just after it says "Click f2 if you wish to install 3rd party RAID drivers" it stops loading, just gives me the blue setup screen with no text, no progress.

I removed my sound card, and my network card. All that is left is my video card, a Radeon 7200 LE.

I set all the BIOS settings to defualt to start from fresh.

Does anyone have ANY idea what the problem is, or how I could fix this bloody thing?

Oh and the system is:
pentium 3 1ghz
ASUS CUV-266
Radeon 7200 LE
AS said above, the other cards have been removed until I get it going.

How do you clear the cmos after putting in different memory?
In the bios setup I restored defualt settings but it didn't help.

Not overclocked at all, everything at defualt settings.
I tried a different video card, no luck.

I had enough of this so I put everything except motherboard, ram and case into my old case with motherboard and SD ram. I don't know what to do now..

there should be a shorting pin that you move from the default setting to clear cmos. the pin should be close to the cmos battery. if you have the manual, it should say on there. just unplug the pc, move the shorting pin to the other 2 pins, wait a couple of seconds then move it back to default setting. also, just thought i'd ask, are you using any raid set-up. if you are, that's the reason why xp is asking you for the drivers for the raid.

I'll check in the motherboard manual.
I don't have RAID. You know in the Windows XP setup program, near the bottom of the screen it says what its doing.. it says "Press f6 to install third party SCSI or RAID drivers", then "press f2 to run automated recovery" or something. It says this in the same "bar" where it says what is loading, etc.

I just cleared the cmos and tried again. Same things happen.
Do you think my motherboard is messed up?

when you go into the bios, does it detect your hard drive? and yes, we do know what you're refering to. after that process, it copies the i386 folder to your hard drive then renoots itself then loads/installs the xp os from the hard drive. you wanna make sure you see your hd in the bios. may or may not be the problem.

My hard drive is fine. It's a Western Digital 80GB 8mb buffer hard drive, purchased only a couple months ago. It is detected in the BIOS, and am using it in my "old system" right now (running windows off it).

Back