• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some help with my Abit KD7-G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blckhawk

OK fellas I need some help OC this bad boy. Is there anyone with this board who could kelp me out with setting it up? Heat is not a problem with this set up (see sig) but I can't seem to OC it. Not to mention some of the settings in the Bios are confusing. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

blckhawk

I have over clocked mine to 1995GHZ
But there is a bad hot spot on the MOBO it is hotter than the CPU and it it right below the CPU see pic.

Dscf0435.jpg

edit: changed immage type(smaller)

Last edited:
Where do you want to start;)

Well list down exactly what you see in SOFT MENU III & ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES | DRAM CLOCK/DRIVE so we can go at it properly. I'm attaching a word doc for you to print out & fill up while your in the BIOS. Also by now we can expect that the only limitation will be the chip & the boards reluctance to run at 200MHz/400FSB+ right? Meaning you have the right components already.

Attachments

• bios list.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 77
I need this same help!

I have a KD7 MB, and I am trying to get it OC'd. I just read a really hel;pful thread explaining the divisor ratio and all that, and I believe I should stay at or below 38mHz PCI bus (especially since I triedf 200mHz FSB last night without knowing better and had to reformat after I lost a file on my HDD :eek: ). I guess my Maxtor 120gig dint like a 40mHz PCI bus.:temper: .

So my main concern is just getting the absolute best air-cooled performance I can get for now with what I have. I know it isn't the best, but I am trying to make the best of it. I am wishing now I had maybe gotten a different MB, since I am not going to be able to run a 200mHz or better FSB. Oh well, I didn't know what a /6 divisor was when I chose my equipment, so maybe I came out ok:

T-Bred 2700+ w Abit KD7 & TT Volcano 11 HSF
Corsair 512MB (2x256) 400MHz XMS PC3200 low-latency whatever that means)
Sapphire Radeon 9500np red card w/L-memory (BIOS modded and 3.4 drivers)
Also have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro if I wanna swap out

I know you basically OC in small tiny baby-steps, but I don't know where to start. I think I should probably get my memory running at its absolute best first, right? But I don't know much about memory timings, in spite of all my research on the subject, or how to squeeze the best performance out of them. Is the memory where I should start, or the FSB? I think that the video should prolly come last, when the rest of the system is optimized, right?

Thanks for that BIOS list, and I will go reboot and come back and post my numbers!

Ok, here they are, now what might I do to begin improving performance? Obviously, all of these are default values, as I don't wanna mess with it again without some guidance.... my reformat was a pain in the arse, lol.

SOFT MENU III

CPU OPERATING SPEED = ____2700+______

CPU FSB CLOCK = ___166_______
RATIO = ___5:2:1_______
MULTIPLIER FACTOR = ____x13______
ENHANCE FOR BENCHMARK = ___disabled_______

POWER SUPPLY

CORE VOLTAGE = __1.650________
DDR VOLTAGE = ___2.55_______
CPU FAST COMMAND DECODE = _at Normal___

*** I did not see these next three fields: ***
SPREAD SPECTRUM = __________
LINEAR SPREAD MODE = __________
LINEAR SPREAD RANGE = __________

ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES

DRAM CLOCK/DRIVE

CURRENT FSB FREQUENCY = ___166_______
CURRENT DRAM FREQUENCY = ___166_______

DRAM CLOCK = ___166_______
DRAM TIMING SELECT = __by SPD________

CAS LATENCY TIMING = __2.5________
BANK INTERLEAVE = __disabled________
PRECHARGE TO ACTIVE (tRP) = ___3T_______
ACTIVE TO PRECHARGE (tRAS) = __7T________
ACTIVE TO CMD (tRCD) = ___3T_______

DRAM BURST LENGTH = ___4_______
DRAM QUEUE DEPTH = ____4 level______
DQS DRIVE STRENGTH =__Auto________

DDR DQS INPUT DELAY = ____Auto______
INPUT DELAY VALUE = ____24______

DDR DQS OUTPUT DELAY = ___Auto_______
OUTPUT DELAY VALUE = ___40_______

MD DRIVE STRENGTH = ___Auto_______
DRIVE VALUE = ____0______

DIMM 1 - 4 CMD DRIVE = ___Auto_______
DIMM 1 & 2 = ______0____
DIMM 3 & 4 = ______0____

DRAM ACCESS = ___3T_______
ENHANCE DRAM PERFORMANCE = ___disabled_______
DRAM COMMAND RATE = ___2T command_______
WRITE RECOVERY TIME = ___3T_______
DRAM tWTR = ___3T_______
DCLK OUTPUT DELAY = ___0 ps_______

I have done many itterations of OC on my Abit KD7-G with XP1700+ JIUHB:0310XPMW.

All of the following work + Notes
200*10
200*10.5
133*[email protected] Becomes unstable
166*[email protected] Wont boot into windows
166*[email protected] windows drivers have problems

The most stable overclock is setting the BIOS as having a XP2400+!
System temp says 48C and cpu temp 42C
This works better than setting the same parameters manually!

The big problem is heat any over volt results in 50C system temps...
altho I believe the hardware doctor has the temp sensors backwards...

Well...

I've already determined through trial and error that 200FSB isn't going to work for me. Everyone said if your PCI bus is too high, then you risk both video card damage (since AGP bus is based on PCI bus, which is based on divisor from FSB) and HDD damage (again from the PCI bus). The numbers I have seen quoted several places advise keeping the PCI bus at 38 or below.

Unfortunately, I tried with a 40 PCI speed last night, and immediately corrupted a file on my HDD, necessitating a full reinstall of XP (repair wouldn't work for some reason). Needless to say, I won't be risking that again without some VERY hard data to the contrary. I didn't at the time realize the importance of the ratio/divisors, but I do now (the hard way, the best way, however you wanna say it! lol).

My question is, with the above settings in my previous post, in what order and increments do I go about increasing the performance of my entire system? Do I start with memory, then FSB and mult., then video card? If so, which memory settings do I alter first? Obviously, you prolly don't wanna alter ALL of them at once, because if something goes wrong, you don't know which one caused the problem.

I have tried reading up on the memory settings, but nothing I have found seems to address this specific topic.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer me! :)

No one willing to give us any suggestions on where to start? I tried working my DDR latency, default is 2.5, lowered it to 2 and bandwidth (Sandra) went down slightly, and it won't post at either 1.5 or 3.

Dunno what to try now, but I gotta tell ya, I am tired of resetting my CMOS. lol

tRmedic21 said:
No one willing to give us any suggestions on where to start? I tried working my DDR latency, default is 2.5, lowered it to 2 and bandwidth (Sandra) went down slightly, and it won't post at either 1.5 or 3.

Dunno what to try now, but I gotta tell ya, I am tired of resetting my CMOS. lol

What I noticed with your setup is that your default settings are not what they are suppose to be. The XMS3200LL should give you;

ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES

DRAM CLOCK/DRIVE

CURRENT FSB FREQUENCY = 166
CURRENT DRAM FREQUENCY = 166

DRAM CLOCK = 166 <--------- This will not go 200 on the 5:2:1 RATIO
DRAM TIMING SELECT = by SPD

CAS LATENCY TIMING = 2
BANK INTERLEAVE = ENABLED (set this manually)
PRECHARGE TO ACTIVE (tRP) = 2T
ACTIVE TO PRECHARGE (tRAS) = 6T
ACTIVE TO CMD (tRCD) = 2T

DRAM ACCESS = 2T
ENHANCE DRAM PERFORMANCE =
DRAM COMMAND RATE = 1T
WRITE RECOVERY TIME = 2T
DRAM tWTR = 2T

You say you drop performance when you set things to CAS2, that's odd since more often than not it should go up because of the lower latencies. Would you like to try more voltage? Running at 2.8V is the maximum voltage as defined by Corsair & going beyond this point you will void your warranty. Sometimes with a board that is stubborn at times you need more voltage.

SOFT MENU III

CPU OPERATING SPEED = USER DEFINED

CPU FSB CLOCK = 180 AT YOUR OWN RISK
RATIO = 5:2:1
MULTIPLIER FACTOR = 12.5 (if you want to check for maximum FSB drop the multiplier low enough so that you don't beyond default clockspeed)
ENHANCE FOR BENCHMARK = ENABLE (I leave mine that way)

POWER SUPPLY

CORE VOLTAGE = 1.75V AT YOUR OWN RISK
DDR VOLTAGE = 2.75V AT YOUR OWN RISK
CPU FAST COMMAND DECODE = Normal (for anything above 166)

This is a mild overclock I would think & again it's AT YOUR OWN RISK. I would expect that you have enough cooling & a proper PSU to handle the heat & power. If you have a ATX2 connector, that 4 prong 12V connector, plug it in the MoBo as the VCore is being drawn from the 12V line in these new boards unlike the older ones that took its power from the 5V rail.

Clearing the CMOS should be second nature by now.

Mark620 said:
I have done many itterations of OC on my Abit KD7-G with XP1700+ JIUHB:0310XPMW.

All of the following work + Notes
200*10
200*10.5
133*[email protected] Becomes unstable
166*[email protected] Wont boot into windows
166*[email protected] windows drivers have problems

Not too drag up an old topic, but how did you get the FSB to 200 without any HD corruption? I up mine to 180 and start getting errors in windows with files and such.

I would suggest you guys run your RAM Timings at SPD and just get your FSB up to a minimum of 166 (can go to 180 without problems, usually) and then start to increase your multiplier.

You will need to do all this increase fairly slow... boot to windows to be sure it will run stable... then increase some more. If windows crashes/locks then increase your CPU voltage until it doesn't (or back down your OC).

I am running my system at 166 FSB x 13.5 so I don't mess with my DDR Voltage. My CPU voltage is at 1.525 (0.025 of an increase).

System at 2250 MHz and stable.

I came to the conclusion that this speed is fine and I am not stressing any of my components other than the CPU.

Back