• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Genocide

Ok so ive had a 512mb stick of Samsung PC2700 for a few months, and last night I was messing with stuff in my case and took the memory out to make some room for my hands, and when I put it back in and booted into windows, Im getting errors with programs that "xxxxxxxxxx memory location cannot be read". I cant keep trillian open for more than 3 seconds without getting that error, is it possible I damaged a section of my memory last night and when trillian goes looking for some memory it finds bad sectors? I dont know of any programs to thoroughly analize the memory and see if there is any problems if there are any. I also tried reinstalling trillian and I get the same issue.

Did you put the memory back in the same slot it came out of?

There's a utility called Memtest86 that you copy to a floppy and boot from that will test your memory.

memtest86 will definitely tell you if something's wrong with the RAM. I don't mean to insult you, but did you unplug your PSU before you took the RAM out/in?

yea i took all precautions, i even had one of those antistatic wrist straps on, im going to reformat today and see if that helps

Back