• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime 95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ACF

Not sure I understand how to run this program but when I run the benchmark at any fsb it runs 10 tests and then finishes successfully but if I run the "Torture Test", it crashes at 141 fsb regardless of voltages.

Is the Benchmark stressing my components at all or just "benchmarking"? And my CPU seems to run fine at 166 fsb but the torture test can't run past 141 fsb as I mentioned. How concerned should I be when prime crashes?

Oh yea, memory is running at the Fastest setting (I read overclocking the memory first was the best method). Any comments or suggestions concerning that?

Thanks.

If your system is stabile, you should be able to run torture test for hours if not days. Most OC'ers do run for days when they are burning in their processors.

Looking at your system setup, try 2.6 -2.8 V for your Vdimm. You should be able to do at least 166 at 2-2-2-5 timings. Your CPU would be the other suspect. You can try up to 1.85 V for Vcore.

Thanks, do you know what 2-2-2-5 corresponds to on my mobo? Seems like the "Fastest" setting lowers them pretty good and I still can't get it to run at those voltages as mentioned above.

The settings are as follows:

CAS Latency: 2
RAS-to-CAS Delay: 2
RAS Precharge: 2
Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 5

If the voltage increase didn't help try the following:

1) Keep VDimm at the the higest setting you can, but below 2.8V
2) Keep VCore at 1.85, but make sure your CPU temp doesn't exceed 50 deg C.
3) Run your memory at 2.5-3-3-7 timings

If this doesn't do it, your power supply may not have enough juice or your CPU cooler may not be working right. Your CPU temp during Prime95 should be no higher than 50-52 deg C. There's really nothing more you can try if this doesn't work except getting a new CPU and/or memory. Your KT333 should have no problem running 166.

Assuming that you are able to run torture test at these settings, you can then start tweaking one variable at a time to see which one is the critical one. I would recommend the following order:

1) Reduce VCore to the lowest value that passes torture test.
2) Decrease the values of your memory timings to get higher performance while passing torture test.
3) Decrease your VDimm to the lowest value that passes torture test.

Remember, only change one variable at at time. Good luck!

Looks like something is awry indeed, I can't pass the Torture Test at 166 FSB with ANY setting of voltage or timings. Strange though, I ran at 166 for months but did have the occasional crash. Now the best I can do is defaults for everything except memory at the "Fastest" setting. Guess the question is whether I can live with it.

Last edited:
I would say reduce the fsb untill prime is 100% stable or else risk the factor of having something die in the near future. Thats just my .02$ I wouldnt run my pc @ any setting if prime cant pass atleast 12 hours of prime

Back