• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"System Failed Memory Test" A7N8X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madzen

Registered
Okay little more trouble. My board info is in the Sig. When I boot it says system failed memory test. What are the causes of this happening?... my sig FSB is 143 but i brought it back down to 133 until i see what this mem failed test means. Could it be a power issue?... the computer still boots fine and everything.

From what I have read in the forums, this is a common problem. Seems to be an idiosyncrasy of the A7N8X series. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it really bugs you, turn off post reporting.

Anyone with more experience with this can probably tell you more. I would check the Asus AMD forum as this is a motherboard issue, not a memory issue. I assume your Corsair isn't the problem since the board boots and all, some Corsair with poorly programmed timings wouldn't even boot in these boards.

Madzen said:
Okay little more trouble. My board info is in the Sig. When I boot it says system failed memory test. What are the causes of this happening?... my sig FSB is 143 but i brought it back down to 133 until i see what this mem failed test means. Could it be a power issue?... the computer still boots fine and everything.

From your sig, you have Corsair 3200C2, A7N8X, ...

A7N8X FSB can run with good memory in SYNC somewhere between 180-220 out of the box.

If things are set up properly, you should be able to run FSB at least at 180 MHz. The memory and 3D performance will make a big difference (40%+).

1. Are you using bios 1002 final.
2. Is you CPU TBred A or B, they can be unlocked by the MB.
3. If (2) is true, set the FSB and memory timing manually, and run them in SYNC (or 100%). Lower the multiplier and increase the FSB, .... etc, etc, etc

Re: Re: "System Failed Memory Test" A7N8X

hitechjb1 said:

1. Are you using bios 1002 final.
2. Is you CPU TBred A or B, they can be unlocked by the MB.
3. If (2) is true, set the FSB and memory timing manually, and run them in SYNC (or 100%). Lower the multiplier and increase the FSB, .... etc, etc, etc

Yes i have 1002 Final... But I am unsure how to determine wether I have TBred A or B... How can I tell... Also... how should I go about movie up the increments... lower the multi by .5 each time and the fsb by one all the way to 180 or till it fails?

Thanks again

Re: Re: Re: "System Failed Memory Test" A7N8X

Madzen said:

Yes i have 1002 Final... But I am unsure how to determine wether I have TBred A or B... How can I tell... Also... how should I go about movie up the increments... lower the multi by .5 each time and the fsb by one all the way to 180 or till it fails?

Thanks again

In the bios, set everything to manual, so you can adjust the FSB by step of 1 MHz, the mulitplier (not AUTO), the memory at 100% SYNC with FSB, the memory timing (that 4 magic numbers that look like 6-3-3-2, ...).

After you can manually adjust these settings. Try to lower and change the mulitplier and reboot, if the screen or the bios show that the multipler has indeed been changed, most likely you have a TRBED. Since old Palomino are most likely locked by default.

Set USER DEFINE for the bios memory setting, set it to 6-3-3-2 as a starting point. Set the FSB in SYNC mode with the memory. Lower the CPU multiplier so that CPU would not go out of its stable working range during the FSB overclocking. For a 2100+, running under 2 GHz (or even lower if you are not sure) is pretty safe during the FSB adjustment period.

Increase the FSB few steps at a time (or 1 MHz when close to top) until the OS begins not to boot, then you will know roughly what is the top speed of your system. Then you can backoff 1 MHz at a time, so that the OS and applications are stable. 3D mark 2001 is a good and quick test for stability. This is the top stable FSB speed of your system.

A7N8X FSB top speed can range between 180-220 MHz (w/o Vdd mod for NorthBridge).

Then try to tighten the memory timing to 6-2-2-2 as a goal. You may not be able to achieve that without dropping the FSB a lot. There is an optimal point and balance between the bus frequency and memory timing. Between 6-3-3-2 and 6-2-2-2 is about 5 MHz of memory/FSB frequency (roughly speaking), pick the best tradeoff when you get there. Memory bandwidth can be measured by SiSoft 2003.

After you get the max FSB for system, then you can play with the CPU multiplier by increasing it 0.5 at a time. May have to make delta change (+-) on FSB to finalize between TWO adjacent multiplier settings such that the CPU frequency is as close to its top stable frequency as possible in order to fully optimize the system.

Set AGP freq to 66 (locked)

For RAM, increase the bios default RAM voltage to 2.7 - 2.8 V may help in case you are close to or beyond the stock speed of the memory module.

When uping the CPU freq, when you feel the system becomes unstable, increase the Vcore one step at a time to gain stability. Increase gradually, no big jump to be safe.

You don't have to be very aggressive on Vcore and Vram to do a good, decent overclocking. When you have done once or twice, you will find your way to be more aggressive.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
That definetly helps... however, when I change my multiplier... the cpu will not boot... the only multi i can use is 13 for some reason. I tried all other possibilities and the cpu booted so long as I had 13x... this is limiting me to about 148 FSB... i have my vcore @ 1.8v. Do you know why I can select the other multipliers but when i reboot the machine will not turn on... it happens even if im not running it over the chips speed. It just happens when i change the multi.

Thanks again!

Madzen said:
That definetly helps... however, when I change my multiplier... the cpu will not boot... the only multi i can use is 13 for some reason. I tried all other possibilities and the cpu booted so long as I had 13x... this is limiting me to about 148 FSB... i have my vcore @ 1.8v. Do you know why I can select the other multipliers but when i reboot the machine will not turn on... it happens even if im not running it over the chips speed. It just happens when i change the multi.

Thanks again!

If you have done the setting properly and you cannot change the multiplier other than 13 which is the default mulitplier for a 2100+, it looks like the CPU is LOCKED.

You can use the program WCPUID and it will tell you whether it is a TBred or Palomino which is much harder to unlock.

In SiSoft Sandra 2003, CPU and BIOS Information will also tell you clearly what CPU it is.

In SiSoft Sandra 2003, CPU and BIOS Information will also tell you clearly what CPU it is.

I also had this problem happen once, no big deal i just rebooted and it passed it the next time, there must be a bug cuz my system is stable ;)

hitechjb1 said:

You can use the program WCPUID and it will tell you whether it is a TBred or Palomino which is much harder to unlock.

Can anyone tell me where I can get this WCPUID...

also to this:

I also had this problem happen once, no big deal i just rebooted and it passed it the next time, there must be a bug cuz my system is stable

What problem where you having?... you were set to 13 and it worked with another multiplier at some point?...

Thanks a million guys

DOH!

My bad, sometimes I forget the original thread title... I understand what had passed by now... but any more help on this topic would help (i.e. a guide on unlocking my chip).

If it is a 2001+ Palomino, it is much harder to unlock.

I won't bother to unlcok my Palomino 1600+, even I can probably get 20+% out of it. TBred B 2001 is under $100 now.

Also palomino 2001+ is at the top CPU frequency of that particular silicon process. Due to the Vcore and heat constraints, you won't be able to overclock by much (maybe 5-10%).

If you can unlock the palomino, you'll get only the memory bandwidth gain for the A7N8X by going from 143 MHz to 180-210 MHz, roughly a gain of about 30-40%. CPU gain is only about 5-10%.

If it is a TBred 2001, it will be very DIFFERENT. You may be able to overclock it by 30% or even 50%, on top of the memory bandwidth gain for the A7N8X by going from 143 MHz to 180-210 MHz which is roughly a 30-40% gain. As a result, the CPU and memory BW together, the overall performance, including 3D performance gain will be HUGE !!!

Last edited:
Back