• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 Gb memory worthwhile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BaD CrC

This question has probably been asked before but is 1 Gb DDR worthwhile?
I'm building a new computer now, and I'd like to keep it as long as possible without needing to upgrade in 6 month. Most of computers now seems to come with 512 Mb, so it can be a sign that 512 Mb will soon not be enough?
I'd like to have two matched modules so to use the dual channel of an nforce2 for example. Corsair is selling matched modules (TWINX), but at a really incredible price. Is it a marketing move or do you really need to get matched modules to have a proper dual channel working?
Thanks

They charge a premium (~ 10-20% over the regular for the service) for the twin. I think is a way to make money. IMHO, It is not worth for the few MHz (or 2-5 % of performance), if there is any at all. For overclockers, we play with the FSB and memory timing anyway and can easily get back the loss due to the mismatch (if there is any) by tweaking the FSB and timing. The twin is mainly for ppl who want to plug and play, without doing any tweaking.

OCZ EL 3500C2 512MB regular $169
OCZ EL 3500C2 512MBx2 TWIN $400
Corsair 3200C2 512MB regular $150
Corsair 3500C2 512MB regular $166
Corsair 3200 LL 512MBx2 TWIN $350
(price from googlegear)

Hand pick matching does not mean they will find two modules that match up to within certain % of clock cycle and RAS/CAS timing. Unless you do it in the lab yourself with a large sample of modules and with special set up and time, then you can pick up to within certain % of a ns.

Corsair 3500C2 and 3200 LL TWIN are based on the same DRAM chips. I think this is what they do: from the 3500C2 modules which is spec at 217 MHz 7-3-3-2 timing, pick those that can run at 200 MHz 6-2-2-2 timing and claim them as 3200 LL (low latency, tighter timing). And 3200 LL TWIN is just a pair that passes on a test bed using A7N8X dual channel MB. I doubt the TWIN will be tested by running 3D Mark 2001 for stability, lol !!!

I read in the Corsair forum, some ppl bought a TWIN pair, it turned out that one module is bad. This is not common, but still is a gamble. How can you explain that one of the hand picked twin is bad??? In case one stick is bad, would they change both for you?

-----------------------------------------

THIS IS FROM CORSAIR:

Testing parameters for XMS3200LL:

Motherboard make and model: Asus A7N8X, and/or Abit KD7
All settings by MB default resulting in:
Resulting Frequency: 200MHz
SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T
SDRAM RAS Precharge (tRP): 2T
SDRAM Active to Precharg Delay (tRAS): 6T
SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank
Memory Voltage: motherboard default*

Testing parameters for TWINX3200:

Motherboard make and model: Asus A7N8X
Each set is tested together in an A7N8X with default settings resulting in:
Resulting Frequency: 200MHz
SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T
SDRAM RAS Precharge (tRP): 2T
SDRAM Active to Precharg Delay (tRAS): 6T
SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank
Memory Voltage: motherboard default*

Last edited:
I say go for it, but then again i have a gig of ram, so im biased:) But, playing battlefield 1942 i have seen my memory usage reach over 700mb, so its definely worth having IMHO.

It really is a personal opinion type of thing, last week I threw in 2 sticks of Kingston 512, and kept in one of my 256 sticks, since I have a locked 2100+ pally..OC'ing isn't a major thing with me...

Anyways, now with 1.25GB of ram, I've noticed slightly quicker loading times in games, not a huge increase, but if you're like me, anything faster is great! ;)

Also, I'm a huge multi-tasker, now there's less slowdown than before while I'm working my usual batch of apps, I haven't loaded PS7 up since I added the ram though...hmm..

i hope it is. i will be adjusting my page file size and tweaking some xp settings to get it to use the ram more. should make for an overall better performing computer whether gaming or just surfing.

Wow, 700 Mb for Battlefield 1942?:eek: Thanks for the tip. I'm playing B1942 and B1942 RTR a lot!
I guess I'll go for 1G 3200LL Corsair NOT TWINX. It'll probably be possible to overclock it a little bit anyway if I really need it (though I doubt I will).
Ah, Maxvla, I love your avatar (nothing to do with the thread, sorry)! For some reason I'm too falling in love with asian girls only since I was 10! Now I married one!:D

Well, the thing is these days I can afford a high end PC. So I don't want to spend money for some useless stuff, but on the other hand, I don't want to feel like I made a compromise with performances. So if there IS a significant difference between 512K and 1024K, I'll go for it.

Back