• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda and 2.03 drivers problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnDborder

Ok I just installed the 2.03 drivers and the nvidia controller. Now in the device manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI I have " NVIDIA nforce Ide controllers". Under cdrom drives my cdroms have the "scsi" in the titles.

What have I done now??

you got the wrong driver... you need to install ide driver for your ide controller ... you might have to install them manually... remove them from device manager or update them

I went ahead and reinstalled xp.. Is there an order to installation?
Like xp, updates, mobo drivers, etc?

install winxp...

then install winxp sp1

then install nforce driver pack 2.03

when the driver ask ya if you want to install nforce ide SW chipset driver... click no... because that was the WRONG one... that one was for nforce1 chipset...

I can't agree with you, EluSiOn.

There are two drivers in the nForce driver pack 2.03 and both are correct according to their PCI id's, not the descriptions.
The first one (NVIDIA nForce(TM) IDE Controller) is a miniport driver, which emulates and shows all IDE devices as SCSI after installation. It offers better performance but also can cause some incompatibility problems, especially with CD burning software.
The second (NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller) is a simple updated INF file for use with generic Microsoft IDE drivers (WHQL).

I use a miniport driver but there are no problems to switch between them via "Update driver" function in the XP device manager.

With the 2.03 IDE driver, my CD-RW won't work at all, and I had to reinstall the 2.0 IDE driver to get it to burn again.

josi said:
There are two drivers in the nForce driver pack 2.03 and both are correct according to their PCI id's, not the descriptions.
The first one (NVIDIA nForce(TM) IDE Controller) is a miniport driver, which emulates and shows all IDE devices as SCSI after installation. It offers better performance but also can cause some incompatibility problems, especially with CD burning software.

Is that so? why many people using nforce ide sw controller driver experienced super slow HD read/write (according to pcmark)? and all the dvd/cd-rw failed?

josi said:
I can't agree with you, EluSiOn.

The second (NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller) is a simple updated INF file for use with generic Microsoft IDE drivers (WHQL).

I use a miniport driver but there are no problems to switch between them via "Update driver" function in the XP device manager.

I installed XP then I did the drivers off the cd then I got sp1 then reinstalled the drivers again just as they came on the cd and have not had any issues so far ......

cisco kid

Yes, I get some problems too. To get CD burner to work I had to turn off Auto Insert notification for the device and to change a 40pin IDE cable for 80pin, but now I'm really satisfied with these drivers.
For those, who want to revert back to Microsoft driver - don't uninstall 2.03 drivers, just use "Update driver" for IDE controller in the device manager and point to nvhdc.inf file in the unpacked 2.03 driver package IDE\WINXP subdirectory.

After I installed the nforce ide SW chipset driver, I went into device manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>NVIDIA nforce Ide controllers>update drivers>automatic search. Then it installed a driver now my cdrom drives were like they used to be and so are the Primary, Secondary, and Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller in the IDE ATA/ATAPI ..

Back