• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something very wrong is going on!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

12am

Ok, here's the skinny.

I've had my a7v333 for about 9-12 months. During it's whole lifetime the fsb has been running at 180-190 flawlessly. Origionally it was on an old pally runnin 9x190fsb. Now with my new thoroughbred b I'm getting excellent results with 13x180, well that's to say I was :( also note that all my overclocks are rock solid stable, I've had it running 13x180 for weeks with no lockups/dumps/crashes.

I returned home today from work (comp was just folding away as it always does) and I wanted to shut down for a few mins because we all know what win9x runs like after a good days of folding. So I turn the pc off for about 30 seconds. I press the power button and the comp didn't even post. So I turn it off, then on again, and it boots directly to the bios saying the system failed to start due to improper frequency blah blah blah, so I figure to myself, this is odd but I'll bump it down to 170 just to be sure. well it posts, only to hang when it tries to detect my primary master drive. Alot of things are racing through my head at this point so I turn it off, then on again and I set my fsb to 166 and viola, everything worked. Needless to say I'm floored at how I could lose stability like this, I mean this board has been rock solid for 9 months running 180 fsb, and now I can't even hit 170. Temps are not a factor in this, I checked and they are right in line with where they always are. I ask that some of you can help me figure out what the heck is going on!

Perhaps the cpu is dying due to electromigration (unlikely though at the vcore you quote in your sig)? Other than that try a memtest on your Ram and check your voltage rails.

I2am, I know exactly how you feel. I also can't understand why our a7v333 (and other kt333 mobos) are having so many problems with the tbred when it comes to running at higher fsb speeds. When I had my pali, I could run stable at 208fsb but with this new tbred, I can't go higher than 192fsb. sometimes, I can't even boot at 187fsb. I've also tried using all the bios from 1013 through 1016.002.

I just had the same problem here this morning... I had my board running for 3 days with prime95 (at sig specs below) and then turned it off last night and when I went to turn it on this morning it hangs at the black screen with the windows xp logo...

So I restart it..... no go.... restart it again at FSB 170..... no go... Then I restart it and drop the FSB down to 166. It starts up no problem..... Then I restart it again and put the FSB back up to 180 and it restarts with no problem....?!?

Anyway, I think this MOBO (rev. 104) is going to see its final few weeks as my main rig, for I am getting a new PSU and Nforce2 based MOBO....

nYmph

I'm still waiting on my last few water cooling parts to arrive before I try to jump up that high in the FSB. I hope that this problem gets corrected with a 1017 bios or something.

12am said:
Yes it's odd. Now I can run at 180fsb again. Seems that something doesn't like to be cold booted.

You know, part of my problem aside from my MOBO is also my PSU. Maybe this is the case with you too? Could explain why the most problems for us is when we are cold booting at a higher FSB......?

nYmph

Last edited:
I don't think the psu is the culprit. I just put it in a few months ago, it is a enermax 431w my 5v rail is at 4.94 if that helps anyone.

It's not the PSU, I've got a 480W Antec True Power. I'm almost sure the problem is that our mobo isn't 100% compatible with the tbred processors. I've ran stable at 208FSB with my pally before switching over to the tbred.

I've seen my rig doing the same thing. But only when in use for some time and I cold boot it. Tells me I have a memory failure but when I cold boot the next day, it runs fine.

Back