• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fsb=190 require active cooling on nb on 8RDA mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lub

Registered
Hi,

I got my 8RDA up to fsb=190 and was wondering if I could safely run the mobo with no additional cooling on the nb and sb other than what comes standard with the board?

I wasn't able to get much past fsb=190 cause things began to get unstable at that point.

nb does get hot... once its temp is more than 60c, then my system would crash right away...

active cooling and also proper contact with the NB chipset is very important

Is it safe to run fsb=190 without any active cooling on nb or additional cooling on sb? In other words is it safe to run fsb=190 with only the stock cooling that comes with the epox 8RDA mobo?

Thanks.

Every board/psu is different. It is very hard to tell, some people cant even get to 185mhz FSB. Is doing extra cooling on the board such pain for you or you don't want to spend extra $? I am just curious.

Yes suffice it to say that it would be a pain.
My board is the epox 8RDA and I was able to get the fsb to 190 without extra cooling and the cpu temp is around 35C and the board temp(whaterver this means) is somewhat less at about 30C.

The system runs with no crashes etc.....

So can I safely conclude that I will not need aditional cooling on nb and sb? And what will happen if I need aditional cooling but do not put any on? will the computer just freeze and stuff, or will I blow chips and stuff?

Thanks

nah, it won't blow your chip, if it's unstable it will just crash your windows/game whatever.

my maximum OC is 12x186 = 2323Mhz
I'd really like to do higher FSB, I can run 12x190 but that crashes my games. I'd love to run 200FSB+ cos i didn't buy Corsairs for nothing..I really don't want to do the voltmod, but willing to get some cooling on my NB/SB. sadly, where I live the vantec iceberg is not available.

what I don't understand is why does epox advertise that this mobo has a FSB of 333MHz max when you need to start moding it with added NB cooling beyond 186??

well i got my friend in NY to order the vantec iceberg for me, hopefully it will help me reach higher stable FSB :)

Another lingering question I have is that I bought some fast corsair mem sticks that were rated at 6-2-2-2.0 but someone on this list told me to set my bios to 5-2-2-2.0 for them, and everthing seems to be working. Is it common that you can set a more aggresive mem timing than the manufaturer specifies, and does it depend on your mobo as to whether or not you can get more aggresive with the mem sticks? And if so how are the more aggresive timings determined just sort of by trial and error from ppl on this list?

Thanks.

Back