• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

212mhz fsb killed my hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

I started messing around last night trying to get a little more out of my 2100+ so I set everything to 11.5 x 212mhz and everything was running fine until I tried to run 3dmark2001. As soon as the first test was getting ready to start, I got a bsod and an immediate restart. When it booted up, as soon as it would get into windows i would get that same bsod and it would restart. I swapped vid cards and memory and it still did the same thing so I assumed it was the hard drive. Does this just sound like a simple case of reinstall and i'll be fine or have I messed up my board? The bios still recognizes my cpu and vid card so I wouldn't think the board is screwed up. Thanks guys.

your board is fine. Sounds like your registry file or some other system file got corrupted (what is BSOD message?).
This could have happened If you didn't have you PCI freq locked or if your memory was overclocked too much..
Try to repair or re-install Win (don't overclock too much while re-installing).

Where is the PCI lock on the 8rda? All I could find was the AGP lock. I've seen others here at well over 212mhz with corsair but like everything else, no two components are alike so maybe 212 is too high. It was a little strange though. Everything was running nice and smooth until 3dmark tried to bench, although I guess overall that just showed how unstable it was at that speed. Windows was 100% stable at that speed though, oh well, I'll reinstall tonight and start over again :)

*edit
I'm not sure what the bsod was, it was only on the screen for about a half of a second before it restarted. I do remember seeing "memory dump" somewhere on that screen though.

AFAIK there is no way to UNLOCK the pci freq.......... locked by default, and NOT user adjustable.

That's what I was thinking since I couldn't find it anywhere in the bios.

yep, so it must have been your memory.. registry might have been corrupted before you ran 3dmark. I had exact same problem a few month ago. I got Win2k to pause on BSOD somehow and found out that it was corrupted registry. Tried repair but it didn't work.. back-ups rule :)

Is your xp2100+ stable at 2400MHz in Prime95 ?

I don't know, I forgot to reinstall it. :eek: You can bet I'll reinstall it tonight though :)

I had a similar thing happen when I tried to overclock a little too much. I re-installed my drive image and everything was back to normal. Ghost or dive Image can be a real lifesaver.

I too feel the pain. I slammed my fsb up to 200 last Saturday, and spent the rest of the morning reinstalling XP. I totaly empathize ;)

you ram couldnt do the settings you were at and wrote a corrupted bit or two back to the hard drive. happened to me @ 208 when testing.

Well, I've got Prime95 running now. Out of the gate it errored on 12 x 200 so I backed it off to 12 x 195 and it's chugging along now. Since it would run fine at 200mhz is it a safe bet that once I burn it in for a while, 200mhz will be stable?

Funny story !!! After i had everything set up and i was running @ 12.5 x 184 . I had done a complete upgrade except the hd well i was installing easy cd creator so i could start backing up my settings and stuff well all of a sudden nothing the blue screen of dead . I tried installing windows about 10 times and tried formating the D*** thing for about 2 days then just gave up and went to best buy and bought a wd 40 gb hd and said the hell with it .

lol, I don't think that would be too funny if it happened to me :) Glad you got everything working though.

No it really wasn't that funny but there wasn't a d*** thing i could do like i said i tried formating the SOB for about 24 hours straight and it wouldnt do a d*** thing all i can say is thats what i get for forgetting to get a new hd along with everything else i mean the only old thing i have now is 3 case fans cdrw and the case . O well maybe ill fux with it another day and see what i can make out of it right now its a pretty good paper weight LOL. Also i didnt only try formating and installing windows on this system i tried it on an compaq and my old rig .

so far i scrambled my bios chip once and screwed up my boot sector once.luckily i was able to hot flash the bios chip and on the boot sector xp repair fixed it. :beer:

i will be doing vdd mod soon.i plan on taking no chances with hd and using an old 5 giger till i find my limits.yes i do have my main partition ghosted but its full now and a ghost would be 2 large.

vdd mod?

could someone tell me what the vdd mod is and how it works, by the way, you people are lucky, i get a BSOD everytime i try to go about 164*13, it really sux, sometimes my system wont even boot the monitor light just kinda winks at me.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Re: vdd mod?

BurntCPU15 said:
could someone tell me what the vdd mod is and how it works, by the way, you people are lucky, i get a BSOD everytime i try to go about 164*13, it really sux, sometimes my system wont even boot the monitor light just kinda winks at me.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://hellcat.ipaska.net/~x8rdafa/mods.htm
(temp location, 8rdafaq.com should be up within the next 12 hours)

BUT - You dont need the vdd mod yet. Have you lowered the multiplier on your cpu?

BurntCPU, sounds like you need to set your agp frequency to 66mhz. I had that same problem and as soon as I set the agp to 66, all my problems went away til I pushed too far.

k1114, I did try lowering my multiplier to 11*166 and it worked till it fully loaded windows, when i did this i hadnt burnt my cpu in yet, a couple of days ago i did a stress testfor about 20 hours with prime95 and havnt tried the lower multiplier yet, will try soon.

OCn00b said:
BurntCPU, sounds like you need to set your agp frequency to 66mhz. I had that same problem and as soon as I set the agp to 66, all my problems went away til I pushed too far.

My board doesnt seem to have a tab to change the AGP mhz, am i looking in the wrong spot?

Back