• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Module placement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

I have 2 sticks of ram and 3 slots to put them in. This gives me a total of 6 different combinations I can place my ram in the slots.
I have tested both same brand same rated sticks to see which is faster of the 2.
Is it best to have the fastest stick in the first slot or the slower one first? or have a gap in between them as I am for better cooling, or even have both on the last 2 slots. You get the idea. Right now I have conbination 2(see little graph) my fastest module in slot1 and my slower module in slot 3, there is nothing in slot 2.
Im having to max my voltage out to 2.8v just to run at their rated speed and timings. I feel it needs this cooling space since winbond has my ddr voltage at 2.86v and memory will not operate any lower without huge errors in mem86. Modules are 512 xms3500, speed I am at is 434mhz 2-3-3-7. Im am thinking for flashing my bios with phantompunishers hacked bios to get the extra settings. My guess is this bios will let me get to 2.96v or possibly 3.06v, thats if the mainboard doesn't cut it back some since I hear 3.00v is the IT7 max2 v2 limit. I need more head room since my cpu will go much higher. Im already running 4:5 I wish there was other settings like 6:7

eg.
F = faster module
S = slower module
- = empty slot

``POSSIBLE ``````DIMM
COMBINATION ```` SLOTS --> 1 ` 2 ` 3

1---------------------------> F ` S ` -
2---------------------------> F ` - ` S
3---------------------------> - ` F ` S
4---------------------------> S ` F ` -
5---------------------------> S ` - ` F
6---------------------------> - ` S ` F