• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded to Athlon XP 2400+, system is dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tankengine

I've got an Azza KT3-AV motherboard with an Athlon XP 1700+, and it works fine. I flashed the BIOS to the latest version, which provides support for 0.13 micron process, up to the XP 2600+ on this board (FSB is 266 mhz). After flashing the BIOS, the system works fine with the old processor.

However after installing the new processor, nothing happens when I power up the system (the drives and fans spin, but no BIOS and no boot - the screen is blank; the front power switch doesn't turn off the system).

Replacing the old processor brings everything happily back to life.

Is my new processor bad, or could the problem be somewhere else? Any guesses?

Thanks for any and all replies...

tankengine said:
I've got an Azza KT3-AV motherboard with an Athlon XP 1700+, and it works fine. I flashed the BIOS to the latest version, which provides support for 0.13 micron process, up to the XP 2600+ on this board (FSB is 266 mhz). After flashing the BIOS, the system works fine with the old processor.

However after installing the new processor, nothing happens when I power up the system (the drives and fans spin, but no BIOS and no boot - the screen is blank; the front power switch doesn't turn off the system).

Replacing the old processor brings everything happily back to life.

Is my new processor bad, or could the problem be somewhere else? Any guesses?

Thanks for any and all replies...

try to clear the CMOS jumper be4 powering up ur system w/ new CPU (i think it has something to do w/ your mobo doesn't unlock the new CPU automatically, so the multiplier is still locked for the old CPU ..) ..

if that doesn't help, check the pin of the new CPU .. if u find something unusual, looks like u've got a bad CPU ..

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but still no sign of life. Sounds like the CPU is bad. I'm going to try to exchange it for a new one.

Back