• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda+ +5v ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElderMill

Registered
I had a reply in another thread that wasn't mine were I discussed my overclock being limited by my psu because the +5V rail was reading low. NF2Guy suggested I test the actual reading with a multimeter. If I test one of the extra connectors I have the psu reads dead on at 5V and is steady.

My question is, does that mean that the bios readings are not correct and my +5V is fine? Or, would I get a different reading on the connector then what the mobo is actually getting?

Right now with the vdd mod on my motherboard, Kingston HyperX3500 2x256 @ 2.77, and my 2100+@2400 w/1.8Vcore my +5V reading in mbm is 4.76. My psu is an Enermax 431W. Hopefully the multi reading I took is correct and I don't have to worry about it but I thought I would ask.

Fire up prime95 and let it run for a minute or two before (and while) doing a test. You need to get a stressed reading, not an idle one.

i would trust the volt meter before the bios.i've rarely seen a bios that read the same as a volt meter.and yes you must be stressing the system for the readings you want.

Ok, thanks guys I'll do the testing this weekend when I get a chance. Got the UFC tonight so can't be messing with this computer. :)

I've tested the voltage, from the reading in BIOS, and with multimeter at empty molex and core voltage regulating Mosfets. I've found that the ATX connector somehow loses some of the voltage, and although the voltages were perfect when measuring on an empty molex with a multimeter, the reading on the core voltage regulating Mosfets were the same as the values from the BIOS. Sometime measuring on the molex isn't that accurate, since that reading isn't always the same as what your mobo are getting. For more information on measuring the core voltage regulating Mosfets, check out Hoot's thread over at Cases and Power Supplies forum.

Thanks Kato. I'm going to go ahead and do this voltage mod to the mobo this weekend. I'm pretty confident that this is what my problem is. According to MBM5 my +5 is now dipping down to 4.6 during prime torture tests. Not good. I'll let you know the results.

I see guys in another forum posting that they are actually taking theit power supply apart.Inside there is one or two set screws somewhere behind the fan.Raising the one raises your 5+ rail but also boosts the 12+ a little also.The Antec True Series and Enermax PS never had the screw.The non true Antecs did and cheaper PS's.I forget what the name of the screw is marked but I can find out.You have to be careful when screwing around with power supplys.I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what your doing and exactly what to do.

Yeap, although those adjustable pots inside some PSU can boost up your voltages, but in this case, the low reading isn't caused by weak psu, but rather weak ATX connector. So if you use those pots to increase your voltages, your mobo may be getting good voltage, but you may overvolted your CDROM/HD in the process.

Ran in to my first problem. I have my mobo vdd volt modded and have heatsinks over the mosfets. Kinda hard to test the voltage with that heatsink over them all. Anyone know which mosfets would be the ones that need the mod done to them? If not no biggy I'll just start ripping stuff apart.

The core voltage regulating Mosfets are the 3 with the legs facing the socket. The middle legs is the one with 5v. Before you do the mod, make sure you can 100% confirm which mosfets, and which leg. Otherwise, you WILL fried your mobo when you hooked up on the wrong mosfets/leg:eek:

Ok, Ok. Thought I would just take the easy way out there Kato but you've convinced me. I'm gonna tear everything apart in a few minutes and get this thing done. Hopefully this gives me better stability at a higher fsb.

Back