• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CMX512-3500C2PT best for intel or amd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roYal

Well, i'm looking into corsair xms3500. I've been a rambus/intel user for years. However, i'm switching over to ddr because of its 64-bit bus, and i'm a big gamer, and i heard that ddr will help with gaming etc...

I need a new mobo now, and i don't know what are the best kind that support the 434mhz memory bus that xms3500 uses. I heard that soyo motherboards own. Also, what cpu should i use, p4 or amd? Which cpu will take full advantage of the memory speed.

BTW, i don't plan on overclocking till i learn more about cas timings and how ddr works. For now, i just want a stock fast system.

Thanks.

I have not heard many great reports of Soyo boards, no boards will utilise DDR434 at stock settings at the moment.
Loking at your sig I would suggest you wait and buy a new P4 with the 800mhz bus Canterwood/Sprigdale i865/i875 motherboard and a stick of the memory you have mentioned. This will give you headroom to do a moderate overclock on the fsb to 217mhz and run memory within specifications.
HTH

they have pc1066 along with pc800, and theyre planning quad channel rdram already. they really want to beat ddr ram.

Assuming that RDRAM is already a dual channel type setup and needs to be run in pairs, would a quad channel require FOUR sticks of memory??? If so, you can take quad channel and shovel it :D

But anyway, I'm running a Gigabyte 8INXP right now (absolutely love it). It has Intel's Granite Bay (E7205) chipset which supports Dual Channel DDR. I highly recommend this setup, especially for a processor that can overclock well and reach high fsb speeds. At 166 fsb, I got more than 4GB/sec bandwidth in Sandra, and this is with cheapo KingMax memory with really bad timings.....can't wait for my 1 gig of Corsair XMS :D

some people say, that p4's or amds can't utilize the 434mhz from the xms3500. I think that's balarki. The fsb on the b-series pentium chips run at 500+mhz, so how could it not utilize the 434mhz speed of the xms3500. I could see where amd wouldn't be able to, considering the lower fsb speed, but some people say xms3500 will work better on amd, go figure. I dunno.

I might way for canterville to come out, 800mhz bus speeds, w00t. If it's too expensive, then i'll use the springsdale. However, i heard with springsdale, there's some device on it to block out piracy or something. Something that has to do with encryption or something. Dunno.

for your original question,.... look for a board that has the Nforce2 chipset on it, i.e. epox 8rda, asus aln8x, soltek golden flame, chaintec apogee, etc.....the asus and the epox seem to be the most popular right now. as for the cpu id go with either a XP2100+ or a XP1700+. those are the two overclockin kings of amd right now. i also have a question,.... do the pentiums truly run the fsb at those speeds?, or is it done via multiplier? like ie... a pentium with 800mhz bus=200fsb x 4? i need to read up on intels line.
ok back to the boards i mentioned, from my research, id say the either the asus or the epox being the best bet. asus for full onboard features, epox for raw power/overclocking. both aare stable, both can do 200+fsb, so far ive read of the asus a7n8x gettin to around 220+ fsb, and the epox 8rda has hit 250fsb. however volt mods and water cooling is taking palce to do this on botth accounts. but now it seems that on average, no mods, good cooling/water cooling in the 200-220 range is very doable with good ram.

Back