• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these would YOU buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbox33

I want you guys to look at these two stick of memory and tell me which one in your opinion you would buy. Notice the huge price difference as well.

Geil

Generic

Take a look at the Sandra scores as well.

i've heard good things about geil, but you're right...i'm getting crucial, myself, but since crucial only offers up to 3200, go with one of the others.

id try the generic IF they have a good rep about returning products that dont meet spec, if it does 216fsb then it does everything you need it to

the only generic ram id get is Samsung wich isnt really generic... but it kinda is... i guess id go with Giel but i dont really like them

remember, it's not only the quality of the chips, it's also quality of the pcb (printed circuit board, the other part of the ram besides the chips), that's why brand names matter when choosing ram, anyone can throw good chips together on a crappy pcb

I agree, it's always worth it to go with a name you trust. Would you choose a no name TV because it was a little cheaper than a Samsung? I wouldn't.

The Generic states that it uses a 6 layer Ultra Low Noise PCB.

Also the listing on pricewatch where I saw it stated it had 4.5ns chips.

That change anyones mind?:D

first of all, i don't think PCBs make noise lol
second, i've never heard of one that isn't 6-layer
and overall, that still doesn't prove that it is good quality, may just be a marketing gimmick

for the price ide go with the new OCZ memory, it will out preform geil, and those generic brands, and i got mine for only 100$ a stick c2 256 sticks

Big Bad oMek said:
for the price ide go with the new OCZ memory, it will out preform geil, and those generic brands, and i got mine for only 100$ a stick c2 256 sticks

hehe, some of you guys just crack me up!
"OCZ memory, it will out preform geil"
Gee, Geil and OCZ ram comes from the same parent company, same building! Just different stickers.

Mike

mike your wrong, OCZ is now its own company, no parent and they now make there own OCZ 4.5 ns chips that will blow geil away

i looked all this up before i bought OCZ ram 3 days ago, and from what i see OCZ is making there way up the ladder slowly buy shurly. all old OCZ was good BUT NOT the fake OCZ that like 40% of you people got

Big Bad oMek said:
i looked all this up before i bought OCZ ram 3 days ago, and from what i see OCZ is making there way up the ladder slowly buy shurly. all old OCZ was good BUT NOT the fake OCZ that like 40% of you people got

Same person who owned/controlled the original OCZ still owns the new OCZ. Just changes in incorporation and structuring. Look up the links and follow the trails. WhoIs is a good place for you to start. http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois?STRING=computerhq.com&SearchType=do

The BBB isn' too bad either: http://www.bbb.org/
You can expans your search to find out for yourself from there.

If you look on www.ocztechnology.com homepage/company info, you will read this. "Founded in August 2000, OCZ Technology is committed to bringing to market the highest quality, highest performing computer products possible. Our unrelenting endeavor to design and manufacture only the very best PC components has established OCZ Technology as one of the primary providers of premium computer products to discriminating PC enthusiasts. At OCZ Technology we rigorously test and evaluate all of the high performance products we offer."

Now, even though this has changed several times since last year, if you notice they are claiming to be the same company since 2000.

Mike

Last edited:
bro i spoke to them on the phone, and on the net, OCZ broke off from the parent company that owned them, and in doing so they got a new manager, or what ever you wana call it. the same owner maby, but better quality ram than geil yes i think so. they now produce there own ram chips 4.5 ns, and geil does not ( i dont think). the only reason that OCZ has a bad name is because of the scandels they hade, with there FOREMER WORKERS stealing ram, and selling it at hight prices, maked as higher performing ram. if you put ocz pc3500el vs geil pc3500 , ocz will win

Ryan Petersen
thats the owner?? we thats who i spoke to on the phone and hes the 1 that told me they where now there own company, and no longer part of a groupe

"reason that OCZ has a bad name is because of the scandels they hade, with there FOREMER WORKERS stealing ram, and selling it at hight prices,"

The police investigated and never charged anyone. Not that they couldn't find anyone, but rather they didn't have enough evidence to even bring charges, if they found anyone! It was all a fabrication because of such bad ram.

Mike

lol ya they clame to be, because who wants to buy ram from a company that hade tons of problems, then hade to recreate there company from the ashes. answer noone, so its all a market plan i guess, i dont care who owns the company or what not
my point is OCZ PC3500EL Will OUTPREFORM GEIL PC3500! simply fact

Back