• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it the RAM doing this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idioteQnology

hi. i have a p4 2.4 and one stick crucial pc2700 512mb ddr ram.

i had it running at 167 fsb 3.0 ghz for a day. ran prime95 no probelm for 4 hours.

then i tried pushing it a tad higher and it would start loading up windows and then reboot. so i lowered it back down. same thing. then i had it about 2.93ghz and it would load up windows and would be chilling but after about 20 minutes of playing some online gaming the game would just shut off and I'd be back at my desktop with everything else still going but the game.

so now i have it running at 2.85ghz and ran prime95 for about 6 hours and its had no problems. so

is it my ram not fast enough (i know i shoulda gotten pc3200 but OC'ing was so foreign at the time like 2 weeks ago lol)

i have the voltage for my ram at the highest my mobo will let me tweak it to +.2 v and my processor is at 1.65v so it isnt not having enough juice. i have seen a lot of p4 2.4ghz on the forums running at over 3.1ghz so i am sure mine can do it the p4 seems to be the sweetspot at 2.4ghz for price to performance- and mine is a C1 stepping as i found out from another post.

so what is the deal?

also i have the timings set at std since i am pushing that ram as it is right now at 158fsb

what memory timings are you running (you said standard but i dont know what 'standard' for your ram is)? If your trying to run 2-2-2 at that speed it might be the problem. Try backing off on your timings. If that doesnt fix it, it could be the processor. What temps are you running? The voltage sounds like it should be ok, but each processor is different. I had a friend with a 2.2 that would only do 2.6 with 1.75 volts, and my 2.66 does 3.2 with 1.55 volts. Be careful when upping the Vcore. Search the forums for SNDS or Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome, not to be paranoid about frying your cpu but just so you know the possiblites...

Ya that crucial isint very good @ OC'ing your gona have to lower your FSB

My memory wich is the same as yours does the same thing & now I got a new sim Forgetten Battles & it will not run on the 166 fsb
Im assuming that the sim is very memory intensive once I lowered it to 133 ran like a charm... Cant wait too upgrade this junk ram

Back