• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM speed has to do with CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amazon10x

if i buy pc3200 ram but run an XP 2100+ does my ram do the "computations" as the clock speed of the CPU? is there any reason to get pc3200 when im running a 266 FSB? how much heat will it add if i overclock my FSB to 333?

i think 3200 is the bandwidth you have going to the processor, not the clock speed of the ram/cpu. pc3200 runs at 400MHz, and it should be synced to the FSB if im not mistaken (but i think you would have a hard time with that with a 266 MHzfsb.) you might be better off underclocking the fsb to 200MHz.

anybody more experienced take a stab?

Im not sure what bus that proc runs on, Im guessing 133(266DDR). If you have unlocked it you could drop the multi and run the ram full tilt, mobo willing.

if its the system in your sig the chip is unlocked and you should try to get as close to 200mhz fsb as possible. however if you have no intentions of overclocking then there is no point in anything but 2100 with that proc, and even the new amds with 333fsb would only need 2700 ram. any more is throwing away money on a stock proc. you can run the memory faster than the chip but this will only give neglidgable performance gains as the chip will not be able to use the bandwidth until you overclock it. if you only change the fsb and muti so you get equal clock speed but lower multi/higher fsb the temp should not change more than maby a degree unless you have to add voltage, which you shouldnt with a tbred b. good luck and let us know how it goes

ps i would go for 166x13 with that setup, should be doable with even reasonable cooling

edit: wait thats an nforce2 board so u dont need spec'd pci speeds. try for 200x10.5 or 11

Back