• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA+ - memory or NB limitation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazyart

I screwed up quite a bit while overclocking my system, so I'm going back to basics.

I started out at 10.5x166 with my 1800+ and Micron PC2700 ram. All was good.

I'm currently at 179 FSB - started getting prime95 errors at 183, so i've backpedaled to find the sweet spot. I upped the Vdimm to 2.77 and still couldn't get 183 FSB stable.

Am I being held back by my memory or the NB? CPU is at 42C at load, so I don't think the processor is maxxed (currently 1879 mhz).

Ignore the numbers in the sig, though the hardware remains the same.

Which dimm slot are you using and have you removed the jumper between the nb and psu plugin. Also what timing are you using.

Using DIMM slot furthest from CPU, jumper is still on.

Timings are 2.5-2-2-6. Memory is rated CAS2.5

Well I'll post a link @ the bottom of this post you should read it if not. I'll tell you pretty much what it says for 1 stick of ram use the dimm slot closiest to the cpu that would be slot 2 it also states that you should remove the jumper. What happen when i did this i when from a stable fsb of 187 to 195 thus far.

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196731

i'm telling you, removing the jumper does nothing. i always had my DDR in slot 2. and still i can't do higher than 190FSB. that it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. it only helped you because you moved your ddr from slot 1 to slot 2.

I didn't happen to state in that little help thread that I took off the JCLK on my 2 boards, and it didn't seem to do much if anything for me, but in alot of posts I have made I have mentioned that it didn't do much for me( just left it out of that help thread for some reason, don't remember why tbo), but that others have had good luck taking it off the board, and was relaying something they may want to "Try", hence the name of that thread.....
It may do nothing for folks, but for some folks they will disagree as it has helped them. why? I dunno why......... maybe it has something to do with the issue the NF7 has with 333mhz fsb chips also, where they have to cut the L12 to achieve higher fsb.

Where it is such an ez thing to try I figured I would throw it in there, as some folks swear by it.

Back