• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512mb of 2100 or 256mb of 3200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yanks111

Pretty soon, as in say 2 weeks, i am going to be buying some new stuff, such as a 2100b, and the 8rda+.

however it has come to my attention that currently, my ram that is 2100 won't get to high of an fsb.

So, I looked into Corsair 256mb 3200, and from what I've heard and read, these sticks can hit niocely over 200fsb..........but for a price that I could only get 256mb of it.

So, should I lose the 512mb of 2100 and go with 256mb of 3200?

I ask because in games, such as BF:1942, my load times increased dramatically with 512mb of Ram.

Games, then overclocking is my main priority, but I still want to have some fun with the overclock, you know what i mean?

I also saw that at hardcorecooling.com they had some noname 256mb 3200 for a cheap price

get some crucial pc2100 at newegg.com, its reliable, known to go around 170fsb or so at cas2.0, and it costs like $70. And for a few more dollars you can do 2x256 for dual channel

i would see if you can get either 2 sticks corsair XMS 256 2700 or higher speed (higher is better so you can get the best OC! :D :D :D !) or if you want to test your luck Samsung sticks of the same speed or faster...
Samsung is good memory and they make a lot of hte memeory that other companies sell its just the other companies get too hand pick their moduals so you might get a good OC or you might get just stock preformance with them... but whatever you do get 2 sticks of 256 or 1 sticl of it and get a second later if you are tight for moeny... the Nforce 2 mobos have dual channel DDR and that help speed a bit... look aroundin the mobo section for more of an explination on that if you need...

Ok, maybe I should clear up my question:

I currently have 2x 256mb 2100 RAM.

If I got one stick of 256mb 3200 RAM, would say running it at 190+fsb actually be faster than the 512mb of 2100?

I can get one stick of Corsair 3200, or 2 sticks of noname 3200 from that hardcorecooling.com

Forget about what I asked above. I now have enough money for 512mb of 3200 :cool:

Before I buy though, anyone have anything to say aobut this RAM: http://www.hardcorecooling.us/product.asp?0=200&1=201&3=340

It's the "INSANE DEAL: PC3200 256MB 400MHz - CAS 2.0- Copper Heat Spreader - Ultra Performance Chips - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING" that was in the Cyber Deals section not to long ago.

The store is located in connecticut, and the Ram could get to me in 1 day for free :) , if it is good. I know its not Corsair level though.

i have it works great, really good stuff. running 175 fsb right now, no way i can test it over since my motherboard is holding me back. it's at cas 2 t1. i would say it's right up their with corsair. their are a lot of people who bought it and they all have hit over 200 mhz with it.

I don't think hardcorecooling.com states what brand they are.

However, Lithan E-mailed them, and they replied with:

"Hi,
Our PC3200 and 3500 memory uses 4.5ns chips. Memory is tested in a Simm memory tester. As you stated when you first asked us questions, the memory duration is lifetime and will be replaced if it becomes defective from normal use. Hope this helps.

-Support
[email protected]

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 1:09
AM
Subject: RE: Question about this
product...

Hi,
The memory has been rated at those listed T timings. We
cannot guarantee that it will run at those speeds on all motherboards since
all motherboards vary in performance. As for the manufacturer, the chips are
made by a third party OEM memory manufacturer. We can handle product
replacement for you. Thanks for your interest.

-Support

[email protected]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Both messages were responses to his e-mail. I did not include his messages because I didn't get permission from him to post them :)

this company -hardcore cooling- seems a bit flaky, great prices but bad service is the summary i came up with after reading reviews at resellerratings.com, on a scale of 1 to 10, they have a lifetime rating of 7.34 (i think) and recent rating of 7.59, while newegg and mwave is well over 9.5 (9.8 i think) among other reputable retailers, it's a bit of a risk ordering from hardcore cooling imo

I live in michigan, got my ram in 3 days....The problem with smaller places and resellerratings is alot more people go to leave negative reviews then people that have positive experiences. When something happens and the people get ****ed they retaliate, but far fewer people go and say its a great place to buy. I think 1 person out of like 25 buyers so far has had a problem, and it wasnt even really a problem.

I say go for the hardcore stuff

Even if I do have a problem, they are about 40 minutes from where I live so If I wanted to I could go vent in front of them :D , and then ask for my refund:cool:

Now I am really curious about which would be better the 256MB 3200 or the 2100 512MB... Are you buying one stick of 512 or 2X256??

If you are buying 2 sticks you should try running it with 1 and overclocking and see if it benchmarks better then the 512 2100, that would be interesting to see..

Back