• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i have 2 hs and a a7n8x delx, can u use raid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mekks

i have a wd 40 gig and a maxor 60 gig, both pluged into the same ide, can i run them raid?? i dont see extra plugs like on my abit kr7a hade

i need to run them in raid on a asus a7n8x delux mb

you must run two identical harddrives regarding size wise for raid 0. Idealy you should run two identical make and models. If your using IDE harddrives you must purchase the sata adapters, and run each harddrive on independent sata connectors.

so i can buy sata addapters, and this will alow me to hook up
40 gig wd
60 gig maxor
to sata??? and is it worth the $ will i get any better performance??

you wont get any better performance, since your ide harddrives are not sata. Its just the ability to utilize the sata connectors

JoJoMoJo said:
you must run two identical harddrives regarding size wise for raid 0. Idealy you should run two identical make and models. If your using IDE harddrives you must purchase the sata adapters, and run each harddrive on independent sata connectors.

Bull**** you can run different size hard drives in raid 0 but the smaller one will dominate the size IE your 60 gig will now be a 40 gig.
you will lose 20 gig's of space this is the only downfall of running two different size hard drives.
always has been this way and will always be this way .
and for the SATA adaptors you will not gain any speed out of them but you will gain chanels

in my case, you think the extra channles(what ever they do) will benifit over the extra 20 gig?

o ok i think i get it, so a channel, is the plug in spot right? 1 plug = 1 channel, and i have 2 hds on 1 channel right?? lol sorry im new with hds never really thought it was that important

You can run different size drives - the larger one will simply truncate. Ideally though you want indentical drives so their performance matches.

Back