• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Nforce2 boards have RAID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SenorBeef

Ok, I'm in the market for an nforce2 or kt400 mb. One of my requirements is a RAID controller, preferably with 4 IDE ports. I haven't been able to find an nforce2 board with one... are there any? If not, why not?

I may just go with kt400 because it's a pain to get a seperate RAID card. Is Nforce2 so much better than kt400 that it's worth the hassle?

Speaking of which, does anyone have experience with external RAID cards? I'm looking for something in the $60 or under range, what's good?

I always thought the PCI bus was too slow to efficiently transfer data from a RAID array, is it a bottleneck? Or is it faster than I think it is?

Thanks for any info.

I should mention if I go KT400 I'll probably either go soyo kt400 dragon ultra or a gigabye ga-7axp. Any problems with those?

Unfortunately,no n-force board i know of has the onboard raid except the chaintek which has only one ide port for it and is really expensive.there is at least 1 that supports sata raid but then you have to buy the connectors.
i finally settled on the 8rda+ with a raid card by silicon image for 33.00 from newegg.here are some benches for silicon image card.here is a link to the card(there are two one for 27.00 and one for 33.00)
i also matched them up with 2x256 twinmoss ram seen here .hopefully the mobo makers will catch on to what we want but untill then i guess we will just have to wait.I just got tired of waiting.
you may notice that i didn't mention the kt400 boards because IMO the n-force has an edge over them and i probably won't upgrade again for over a year.

After posting above i saw this thread.If my order hadn't been shipped allready i could have easily changed my mind.

What are you referring to, the SL-75FRN board?

It only has S-ATA RAID, I need regular P-ATA raid.

the 75frn-rl has another single ide that supports raid but i dont know how well raid would work with only 1 channel.

there is actually 3 channels of ATA on the RL series .. 2 for Serial ATA, and 1 is normal IDE .. you can use any of the two to start either RAID 0 or RAID 1 .. so it's your choice .. sure you will need 1 Serial ATA to IDE adapter if you wanted to use 2 IDE HDD for raid on the board ..

Back