• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cas2/2.5 Oddity w/ OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InThrees

I have an MSI KT3 Ultra2 (KT333 chipset) with an unlocked Palomino 2000+ on it.

Back when I first bought the parts, I put everything together, and booted at stock speed. (12.5x133 = 1666mhz). The memory ran at Hostclock + 33, for 166mhz. I could run at cas2 no problem. It was stable, I SWEAR IT. :p

About maybe a month ago, I decided to bite the bullet and unlock the processor. I decided to relax the memory timings to 'lazy *** all hell' to find my maximum oc, or at least a really good one. I settled on 10x180 for 1805mhz. I tried to boot at Cas2, but it wouldn't even post. Reset cmos, decided to live with cas 2.5.

The other day, I thought "You know, cas2 at 166mhz is likely to kick the crap out of cas 2.5 at 180, and I know I can do that."

So I change the multiplier to 11, FSB to 166, cas to 2, and boot. YAAAY, all the way into Win2k. I apply a mild overclock to my Ti4200, and decide to use 3dmark to run a quick stability test. In the the first test, I'm noticing framerates in the low 200's, like 220, 230... Which I've never seen before. I'm really happy.

Then 3dmark just... quits. No error, no DING, just exits. I try a few more times, same deal. Then explorer crashes. Then the machine reboots.

I try a little more voltage to the cpu, same deal. I try a little more voltage to the ram, same deal.

I lower the multi to 10x166 for 1.66ghz, stock speed, same deal.

Why would I be able to run cas2 at 166mhz mem speed at stock cpu speed, but NOT at the overclocked speed? Anyone know? Could it have something to do with the wait states inherent in an asynchronous setup?

*edit*

still pleading for someone to offer an opinion / knowledge on this... Anyone?

/edit

Last edited:
Back