• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7ZXE & 1700+ Tbred

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShaunBrewer

Hi,

Currently building a couple of PC's and I am trying to get the most out of a GA-7ZXE and 1700+ (Tbred) combination.

Put the chip in installed XP and Easy Tune4.

I can not adjust the multipliers. I can up the fsb to 151/152 (slack memory setting with cas 2 crucial). The temp does not go above 34c and I know I should be able to get more out of a Tbred.

How do I unlock the multipliers with this CPU?

I have read conflicting information re the wire trick joining bridges, blowing or cutting bridges etc any help would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Shaun

1700 Already uses the lower range multis so you dont have to touch the 5th L3 at all, thats only for 2100 and up if you want the lower range. All T/Breds are unlocked so you dont have to join any of the L1's as they are not cut.
What you will have to do is set the multis by dip switch or in BIOS, it will depend on how that mobo controls multis which you use. I would suspect it is by Dip Switches as it would work in EasyTune if you could adjust from BIOS.
Hood

Hi Hood,

Thanks for the reply

The only CPU adjust via jumpers is 100/133 not multipliers - at least there is nothing in the manual and nothing obvious on the motherboard.

And the bios does not allow multipler adjust either.

Am I out of luck for clocking with this board?

Thanks again

Shaun

Looks like it, but someone with that mobo might know how to adjust the multis. The only other way is to do it by altering the multis on the CPU itself.
Hood

You can add your own multiplier controls to that board if you don't mind a bit of soldering....

I had that mobo...gave it away. Good enough board but out of its depth now. It won't be any good for overclocking because that chip you have in there is pretty much the most powerful you can use in it. I know, I tried to no avail. So I said f*** it and bought a 7 vax and an athlon 2600+!!!

Jinxter,

>>You can add your own multiplier controls to that board if you don't mind a bit of soldering....

Please can you post a link or enlighten me

Thanks

Shaun

Ben,

Unfortunately the board was only purchased recently. Just before DDR prices took a dive.

I did not mind the extra cash for the KT400 or nforce2 but (at the time) the extra for the ram just made it impossible.

What mods did you try on the CPU according to the latest bios it should support 2600+. I just need to trick it into thinking my tbred 1700+ is a higher model.

I was hoping there might be a easy way.

Thanks again

Shaun

Ok, your board lacks a multiplier dipswitch block? I was in the same boat, so basically you add your own. This is done via a tri-state dipswitch and some wires, oh and some careful soldering. You need to take control of the BP_FID pins on the underside of your motherboard, these pins are connected to the CPU socket. Controlling these pins will tell the CPU what multiplier to use (make sure the L1 bridges on your CPU are closed but if you have a TBred it's already done).

I first did this mod on my ECS K7S5A board, so here is a link on how to do it:

OCWorkbench MultiMod(Lite)

Please note if you have an XP (Palomino or TBred) you do NOT need to cut traces or control the FID pins, only the BP_FID pins.
Read the information at that URL carefully, the mod is actually very simple indeed but some things can be confusing if you haven't modded a motherboard before, if you have, then you will have no problems. I added multiplier control to my GA-7VAXFS (it's just a OEM GA-7VA) in a few minutes with no problems. Tri-state switch can be obtained from Maplin (Order#GW74R , 8W Tri-State DIL Sw, £1.80(price may have changed since I last bought one)).

Jinxter,

Okay looks a little frightning - however I will have another proper look when I am more awake. If I attempt this I will keep you posted. I may just try to mod the CPU.

Thanks again

Shaun

I spoke to AMD uk about my board. No higher than about 1400mhz true speed they reckon. It couldn't handle the 2100+ or 2000+ that I tried. So you might get away with the 1700+.
BUT all I would do is stick with standard multiplier and get the FSB as far as you can go, thats the best it's gonna get I reckon

ShaunBrewer said:
Jinxter,

Okay looks a little frightning - however I will have another proper look when I am more awake. If I attempt this I will keep you posted. I may just try to mod the CPU.

Thanks again

Shaun

Hi Shaun, Yeah it can look a bit daunting, maybe if you saw some pics of it installed on my mobo, might make it clearer, personally I think it's easier (and more flexable) than modding the CPU. I'll try and get some pics organised.

Ben Cole said:
I spoke to AMD uk about my board. No higher than about 1400mhz true speed they reckon. It couldn't handle the 2100+ or 2000+ that I tried. So you might get away with the 1700+.
BUT all I would do is stick with standard multiplier and get the FSB as far as you can go, thats the best it's gonna get I reckon

Look at Page 3 of this document and you'll see your board takes ALL processors up to Barton.

Ben, as per Jinxters info the revision 1.2 board should run fine upto XP2600+ (133 fsb), I had just seen the info in the bios readme.

Jinxter - thanks for the pdf link. I may just wimp out with the mod - I have an XP2000+ (palimino) currently in an Abit KT7A-raid I also have an Epox 8KTA3 if I can use the Tbreds in these boards without the use of a soldering iron. I will put the 2000+ in the 7ZXE. I have a second 7ZXE which I will try to pass on . Now the DDR prices have/are crashing I would prefer the nforce2 boards.

What ever happens I will post the results. Always usefull to be able to read others experiences helps people avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks again

Shaun

Jinxter said:

Look at Page 3 of this document and you'll see your board takes ALL processors up to Barton.
I think I should qualify that we are talking about the zxe and not the vax.
Well gigabyte will claim one thing and AMD another. On their website when I bought it it said 1500mhz and higher, AMD said 1400 max. This was after I had tried and failed with a 2100+ and a 2000+ so I am talking from my own experience here.
BTW I didnt see 7ZXE on that page only 7ZX-1 (is that the same thing??)
Also regarding it taking all chips up to a Barton core...what about my 333fsb T'bred?????? It only has a max of 266FSB

I just dont think its a good board to overclock.
Ben.

ShaunBrewer said:
Ben, as per Jinxters info the revision 1.2 board should run fine upto XP2600+ (133 fsb), I had just seen the info in the bios readme.

Jinxter - thanks for the pdf link. I may just wimp out with the mod - I have an XP2000+ (palimino) currently in an Abit KT7A-raid I also have an Epox 8KTA3 if I can use the Tbreds in these boards without the use of a soldering iron. I will put the 2000+ in the 7ZXE. I have a second 7ZXE which I will try to pass on . Now the DDR prices have/are crashing I would prefer the nforce2 boards.

What ever happens I will post the results. Always usefull to be able to read others experiences helps people avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks again

Shaun

Hehe ok, np, by the way, I picked up a GA-7VTXE+ today cheap (£20) at my local pc shop, brand new as well, just old stock they couldn't sell, this board has FSB 1Mhz adjustment and Vcore adjustment and most interesting a space on the board ready to take a multiplier dip switch, the contacts have traces going to them so it's just a case of soldering in a switch. Looks like a good mobo, maybe you should look out for one of them and then do a even simpler mod on it to get all the multipliers. I'm going to try it and see what happens, also this board has proper PCI/AGP dividers for 166/200 and 233 FSB!

Update: just tried a switch in it, doesn't work, will have to do a proper multi-mod.

Last edited:
Jinxter,

Dropped the 1700+ in my Abit board had to set the multipler and volts manually but runs fine as if its a XP2000+ will try the fsb latter. Not really pushing the Tbred but avoids the risk of me breaking anything. The Tbred runs much cooler which is good as the box will run 24x7.

Oh and obviously the XP2000+ runs fine as an XP2000+ in the Gigabyte board.

Just ordering a Abit NF7-S to see what I can get out of the Tbred B.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Shaun

P.S. £20 seems a very good price to me (I would say good luck - but given your obvious experence - 'have fun!').

Used to be a local PC shop near me but never any good prices.

Back