• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VAXP Ultra and Crucial 2700 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wino

Registered
VAXP Ultra and Crucial PC2700 ?

Review on the Crucial pc 2700 512MB stick has been mixed. Seems like on a number of MSI boards w/ nforce chips there have been problems. I just received my VAXP Ultra and I plan on using this stick. What is y'alls opinion? Any problems w/this mobo and memory set-up?

Last edited:
You probably don't want to hear this....

But I set up a system for my friend with a Soltek Nforce2 Board using Dual-Channel Crucial Micron 256mb PC2700 x 2.

Needless to say it's the WORST ram I've come across. it will only function at 133mhz. It tops out at 155mhz with 2.8V going to it. won't do stock speeds under any circumstances...

We're RMAing it back to Newegg for some Samsung, which has proven to be more than reliable (at 380mhz) in my 7VAXP Ultra.

I don't know if the Cruicial's problem resides only in the Nforce2 chipset, but nonetheless, I would avoid it. Samsung is much cheaper (36$ for a 256mb 2700 stick on Newegg, 512 is likely to be less than twice the price), and is getting solid reviews.

In either case-- Good Luck

are you talking about fsb speed there if you are thats a very good o/c for 333mhz ram

if your taking about atual ram speed then you must have got a faluty stick. no company would sell ram that could only run at a third of its stated speed.

anyway i assure you that crucial are one of the best suppliers out there.

Again, thanks for everyone's help. After Slater's first response, I ordered the Crucial PC2700. Should arrive tomorrow from Newegg. I guess we'll see.

Thanks again!!

The speed I had posted earlier is the RAM speed, times it by 2 and you get the DDR equivelent.

For Example, it runs stable at 133mhz (266DDR) at default voltage. Likewise, it will run 155(310DDR), at the max voltage my mobo allows (2.8V).

The RAM speed can be set totally independant of the FSB speed. But nonetheless, I tried running it in sync w/ CPU at 333DDR which is stock timing for this RAM.... Just wouldn't happen.

Tried several different timings/voltages/scenarios, and nothing would allow the RAM to go above 155mhz.

So how in the world is this a good overclock?? I'd like to know your reasoning for this. Like I said the problem could result in an incompatibility with Nforce2 boards running on Dual-Channel.

I've been building computers for several years, and I do my homework before buying hardware. Samsung had great reviews, which was what made me purchase it for my own system. I recommended my friend to buy the same, but NewEgg was out, and we went with Crucial Micron, because I know Micron is a decent brand, and in the past they've put out some damn good memory, some of the best.

But it's just not the case with this RAM IMO... But apparently you've had good results with it, so you've proved me wrong... I may have gotten some bad sticks, but that still won't persuade me into telling people this is good RAM... Hope you know where I'm coming from.

I was merely adding my experiences with the RAM. Your statement, No company would sell RAM only running at 1/3 the rated speed is entirely true--- that's why I'm RMAing this junk back to Newegg in favor of some Samsung.

It'll work just fine. Don't worry my friend! :D
No, it's not the fastest memory available, but it is good quality.

BTW, are you getting 1 512 stick or 2 256 sticks?

I'm very happy with it. I'd definately buy it again. It may not blow as much air as some high powered fans, but I don't want my case to sound like a wet-dry vac when I turn it on. I don't overclock my 2700 anyway...it's not like I need to, and they aren't good overclocking CPU's to begin with.

Back