• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7S5A Pro 5.0 won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Furious

Registered
Trying to build a system for my Dad. Here's the problem(s).

Running a 2100+, will not boot at 133 mhz fsb no matter what. It hangs right after the hard drive detection.

Will run at 100 mhz fsb as long as I use pc133. If I put in pc2100 it will not even post. Blank screen, no beeps, nada.

Has the latest bios. New 330W Antec Truepower. Already RMA'd the board once and this one has the same problem as the first. I'm thinking there's something seriously wrong with the bios.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Give us a few more details--

Is your CPU at 133 as well?
You know that you can't use SDRAM and DDR concurrently, right?

What kind, capacity and how many sticks of memory are you using?
What combinations of sticks and slots have you tried?

Check your temps in your BIOS. You might not have seated/plugged in your HSF properly. Watch to see if your temps rise steadily in the BIOS.

So far, I'm guessing bad memory.

Yes I mean getting the CPU to run with the 133 mhz fsb or, in other words, at it's rated spec.

I've built many systems on the older K7S5A's so I'm familiar with them. This is the first time with the Pro version though. Never had a problem like this before.

I've tried the following DDR (all Crucial ram) configurations. 1 stick of 256 meg, 2 sticks of 256 meg, 1 stick of 512 meg. The one stick config's I've tried in either slot. Also the memory works fine in my second system that has a KR7A-133RAID motherboard in it.

I'm using the retail hsf and the temps look good in the bios. Well at least they do at 100 mhz fsb as that's only settings that allows me to get into the bios.

A little more info. At the 100 mhz fsb with the pc133 I've installed Windows XP onto the system and it runs fine at those settings and with that ram.

What other components are you using?
HDDs, PCI cards, etc.

Some people have had problems with various modem cards.

Will it start at 133 with just the vid card and HDD?

Basically it's got an 80 gig Maxtor, Creative CD/RW, Radeon 7000 vid card and a 56k modem. Haven't thought of removing the modem. I'll try that next. Thanks.

I just received my barebones with the new ecs k7s5a pro, amd xp2100 and have experienced almost the exact same problem. I am using ddr 2100 kingston 512meg., Radeon 7500 video, Sony cd r\w. Will post with settings of 100/100 but locks up at 133/133. I can boot from a floppy at 100/100 and even fdisk and format the harddrive (40 gig IBM deskstar) (it does lock up on formatting if I am not right there to label hd when prompted), but when I try to install OS it locks up (tried windows xp, 2000 and 98SE. I have another system 1800xp with the same board and ram that I have switched components with to no avail. Have tried different hd as well (formatting each one). Nothings seems to work. One thing I noticed is when it locks up the lights on the keyboard stay lit even when power is off, I must clear cmos and unplug power to clear lights. I switched keyboards and mice more than once.

I feel your pain. :) Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you. I ended up RMA'ing the board and replacing it with an Epox that works without a hitch.

I'm really at a loss here because the older versions of the K7S5A worked fine in many system I built. It looks to me like they've successfully screwed up a good thing.

Ah thanks for the info, I was assuming it was just the Pro version as I never had the problem with the early 1.0 boards.

Back