• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soltek Golden Flame,I need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I got this board on friday,I decided on this board from all the good reviews and all the hipe over it.
I am not an expert by any means,but I know enough.
I went from an Epox 8K3A+ which was and is a great overclocker.
Well I am not having much luck with this Soltek board.
I only have one stick of Corsair XMS 512 3200,I have some TwinMos on the way 2/256 Dimms.
Well I am having no luck overclocking this board with my 1800 Tbred which I had over 2 gigs in the Epox board.
I cannot do anything only with the multies but if I take it off 133FSB I get a BEEP BEEP BEEP,and all my memory settings are relaxed.It runs great @ default settings,but ever @ default my Epox scores were much higher in 3D mark and Sandra.
I have removed all my PCI cards,sound,modem.Nothing in them and still nothing.I have been getting corrupt files also.
I have a new Antec 430 PSU.I have tryed both my Tbred chips and get the same thing,I have the 1.3 bios.
Could it be it just dont like my Corsair?
My friend got the same board and his is no better.
But I know I have a lot to learn about the NForce 2 board,so any ideas would be great,I know I must be doing something wrong.
And what about the AGP/PCI lock,AGP is set @ 66MHZ in the bios,but I am not sure if it locks automaticly or what,I cannot find anything on it in the manual..
Resetting the CMOS is getting old..

Thanks all in advance...

Dave

check out amdmb.com's forum .. they have a group of soltek users there .. very helpful :) .. now back to ur case.

Soltek nforce2 board prior to bios 1.2 did not have multiplier and fsb adjustments .. it sucked :( .. but they fixed it in 1.2, even add fsb up to 211 in 1.3 .. so make sure you have bios 1.3.

Next, choose expert settings on the bios to enable overclocking .. (the fsb jumper won't do nothin' when u set the bios mode to expert).

that should do the trick :)

nut581 said:
check out amdmb.com's forum .. they have a group of soltek users there .. very helpful :) .. now back to ur case.

Soltek nforce2 board prior to bios 1.2 did not have multiplier and fsb adjustments .. it sucked :( .. but they fixed it in 1.2, even add fsb up to 211 in 1.3 .. so make sure you have bios 1.3.

Next, choose expert settings on the bios to enable overclocking .. (the fsb jumper won't do nothin' when u set the bios mode to expert).

that should do the trick :)

I do have the 1.3,I checked and the FSB does go up to 211,and I do have it set to Expert,I wonder if the Corsair single stick of 512,maybe it just don't agree with this board,I have the timings set to 6-3-3-2 as per there website.
I did manage 1922 out of my 1800 TBred,but that isn't even close to what my Epox 8K3A+ would do,if this is it,I might as well send it back and keep the Epox.

So far I have it running memory timings of 7-3-3-2 @ 100%193X10,anything over that isn't stable,but that is @ 1.85 volts.
But so far still isn't close to what my 8K3A+ would run.
My Epox was 205X10 easy.
But I will say this,I am getting better 3D Mark 2001SE scores with this board 12500 so far.Never got over 10500 with the Epox..

Buy my memory scores are low I believe..

Yo Dave....
Just keep tweaking at it a little bit and you'll get there. You
will see an improvement when the Twinmoss arrives.
The Corsair likes to be contrary with the nForce2 system. It's
the SPD values built into the pcb of the stick.
Instead of clearing CMOS all the time...... just hold down
the Insert key while you power up and it will boot for you at
default settings. Hit DEL and go back into CMOS and make
changes to correct things.

Luck.

Pops.

popcicle said:
Yo Dave....
Just keep tweaking at it a little bit and you'll get there. You
will see an improvement when the Twinmoss arrives.
The Corsair likes to be contrary with the nForce2 system. It's
the SPD values built into the pcb of the stick.
Instead of clearing CMOS all the time...... just hold down
the Insert key while you power up and it will boot for you at
default settings. Hit DEL and go back into CMOS and make
changes to correct things.

Luck.

Pops.

Sometimes the insert key don't work @ least on mine,I will get the twinmos tomorrow and will update you on it.
I reformatted again because of some corruption in windows.
And it seems more stable now.
I am still loading all my software,and so far so good..Knock on wood:)

dang .. I didn't read that you have corsair XMS 3200 ram .. that module have been reported to have some incompatibility issues with nforce2 mobos (that's why Corsair comes up with TwinX module) .. let us know how your twinmos workin' out on soltek :D ..

:edit: take off that jp2 where it has you choose 100/133/166 fsb .. I read popcicle's post on amdmb.com's forum :D ..

Last edited:
nut581 said:
dang .. I didn't read that you have corsair XMS 3200 ram .. that module have been reported to have some incompatibility issues with nforce2 mobos (that's why Corsair comes up with TwinX module) .. let us know how your twinmos workin' out on soltek :D ..

:edit: take off that jp2 where it has you choose 100/133/166 fsb .. I read popcicle's post on amdmb.com's forum :D ..

Take it off..Remove it???

JP2

Well I recieved my Twin Mos and it was able to go somewhat higher,but not much,but my Sandra scores were much better,but then all my files got corrupted @ 191X10 with ram set @ 7-3-3-3.

I cannot understand that,I never ever had anything corrupt on the EPOX 8K3A+ and it seemed like the sky was the limit.I am really bummed out about this,I had to reinstall windows again and lost all I had put back in earlier,but I should have known not to put stuff back in until I got it right.
I think I am going to send this Soltek back to NewEgg and get the 8RDA+ or maybe the ASUS..

It didn't matter what voltage I used,it had to be 1.85 or it wouldn't do anything,I read these reviews were it said they were hitting 200FSB @ 1.75 volts..
Not on this board..

Any ideas please let me know,I hate to give up on it if it is something I am doing wrong...

Thanks

Dave65 said:
Well I recieved my Twin Mos and it was able to go somewhat higher,but not much,but my Sandra scores were much better,but then all my files got corrupted @ 191X10 with ram set @ 7-3-3-3.

I cannot understand that,I never ever had anything corrupt on the EPOX 8K3A+ and it seemed like the sky was the limit.I am really bummed out about this,I had to reinstall windows again and lost all I had put back in earlier,but I should have known not to put stuff back in until I got it right.
I think I am going to send this Soltek back to NewEgg and get the 8RDA+ or maybe the ASUS..

It didn't matter what voltage I used,it had to be 1.85 or it wouldn't do anything,I read these reviews were it said they were hitting 200FSB @ 1.75 volts..
Not on this board..

Any ideas please let me know,I hate to give up on it if it is something I am doing wrong...

Thanks

I just got my soltek today and installed it flawlessly and will try to OC by this weekend .. i'll keep u posted :)

nut581 said:

I just got my soltek today and installed it flawlessly and will try to OC by this weekend .. i'll keep u posted :)

Ok thanks..

Well I got it stable @ 192X10 with 7-3-3-2.5 on the TwinMos.
That is with one stick/256.
I am afraid to add the other stick to unlock the dual DDR,it is running so well right now:(
This board is much faster than the EPOX 8K3A+ as far as 3D Marks go,i could never get over 11000 with the same hardware I am using now.With this I am getting just under 13000,that is with the Ti 4200 overclocked also.
Temps are good 42C running SETI.

Dave65 said:
Well I got it stable @ 192X10 with 7-3-3-2.5 on the TwinMos.
That is with one stick/256.
I am afraid to add the other stick to unlock the dual DDR,it is running so well right now:(
This board is much faster than the EPOX 8K3A+ as far as 3D Marks go,i could never get over 11000 with the same hardware I am using now.With this I am getting just under 13000,that is with the Ti 4200 overclocked also.
Temps are good 42C running SETI.

I got mine up to [email protected] as well w/ generic PC3200@[email protected] ... note tho .. I'm using a $5 coolermaster HSF since my watercooling setup has some leaking problems, so I'm 100% sure that I can get 200fsb w/ WC-ing .. temp. stable@41C idle, 46C load (ambient 23C) ..

I can push my cpu further, but don't feel like to w/ this crappy HSF .. i'll keep you posted with my WCing result Dave ..

nut581 said:

I got mine up to [email protected] as well w/ generic PC3200@[email protected] ... note tho .. I'm using a $5 coolermaster HSF since my watercooling setup has some leaking problems, so I'm 100% sure that I can get 200fsb w/ WC-ing .. temp. stable@41C idle, 46C load (ambient 23C) ..

I can push my cpu further, but don't feel like to w/ this crappy HSF .. i'll keep you posted with my WCing result Dave ..

Ok thanks,are you using both slots to enable the dual DDR?

When I do that to mine it boots ok but the screen goes black and then comes back but everything is all jarbled up,icons turn funny colors..

Dave65 said:

When I do that to mine it boots ok but the screen goes black and then comes back but everything is all jarbled up,icons turn funny colors..

Dave glad to see you have got up n running a bit better than where you were, but IO notice you really had to reduce the mem timings a bit to cas 2.5.

If the board is not doing what you had hoped really consider grabbing the Abit NF7 or Epox 8RDA+. I run 185 fsb at 12 x multi with a 1700 Tbred all good using 2,2,2,5 with vcore at 1.75 to burn it in a bit. But right now I am having an issue with my raid setup so till I solve that I am just running default. But I would highly consider the latest Abit NF7 revised board think it is 1.2.

Cisco KId

Dave65 said:

just like what cisco kid said .. set your ram timings to the loosest (6-3-3-3 Cas 2.5@default voltage) to make sure that they won't be the bottleneck of your OCing ..

just when you get the fsb to 200, then start playing with the ram settings, coz' sometimes, the RAM is the limit (it used to be so many other hardwares, but since the nforce2 locks AGP/PCI frequency, the culprit for so-so OCing are only either the CPU or the RAM .. :D)

also, what kind of cooling do u have on that CPU?

nut581 said:

just like what cisco kid said .. set your ram timings to the loosest (6-3-3-3 Cas 2.5@default voltage) to make sure that they won't be the bottleneck of your OCing ..

just when you get the fsb to 200, then start playing with the ram settings, coz' sometimes, the RAM is the limit (it used to be so many other hardwares, but since the nforce2 locks AGP/PCI frequency, the culprit for so-so OCing are only either the CPU or the RAM .. :D)

also, what kind of cooling do u have on that CPU?

Cisco you have read my mind,I have been considering the Abit for sure,but I have read so many good reviews on the Soltek I had to give it a shot..

As far as the ram timings go I have set default settings and still couldn't do 200 FSB using both Corsair and TwinMos.
The Twin Mos did do better than the Corsair,but consider that the Corsair is 1 stick 512 PC 3200 and the TwinMos is 2 sticks 256.
But if I add the second stick to enable the dual DDR,it gets flaky on me,I have never seen anything like it..
I haven't sent the Soltek back but I did send back the Corsair because it wouldn't do as specified,and there tech said it was bad so I sent it back for a replacement..

Dave, finally my WC-ing setup is fixed ..

I run my 1700+ JIUHB0302EPCW@2000Mhz, 200x10, idle@34C, load@36C, room temp@23C, so this baby does run@200fsb.

I'm able to finish 3dmark2001SE after disabling both the 8x agp mode and AGP fast write on BIOS (before disabling them, I couldn't even boot@200fsb).

but my generic ram sucks tho .. it won't boot above 190fsb, so I had to run the ram async to 166mhz to get 200fsb .. better ram will certainly make it possible to run sync in 200fsb .. yours should do the job just fine.

Back