• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get over 160, Any help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skahtul

So here is my problem. I see so many people in here with 170 or 190 FSB.
On my system:

GA-7VRX, XP1800 (tbred-b), 512 DDR PC2700, WD HD.

I can get all the way up until I hit 185 or so FSB and still POST with no problems. The problem is that when I go over 159, as soon as I hit 160, no matter what I have the CPU multiplier set to or how much voltage I give it (for this mobo is only 1.66) my windows corrupts and files go missing. Now this happens if I am running Window2000 and WindowsXP Professional. Any suggestions? I have tried different RAM and it does not seem to help. I think it is my hard drive; anyone had problems with older Western Digital hard drives holding up their o/c? Also how is my score in my sig?

The problem is with the VIA IDE channels not liking high clocks, the solution for VRXP owners is to put the HDD on the promise channels. You obviously cant do this so the only option I see for you is to get a RAID card and put the HDD on it. Not a very satisfactory answer im afraid, and it might be better just to spend a bit more and get an NForce2 mobo or wait for the KT400A mobos(they look good on paper atleast).
Hood

i had that same problem. even when i got the 1/5th divider working i still had harddrive corruption. the only way i could solve it was to put my hard drive on the promise ata chip built into my motherboard. thanx hoot. now runnen at 173x13. to bad my vcore only goes up to 1.72, if only i had the voltige i could get to 180+

Deadphishy
You could easily get the VCore higher, all you have to do is join the 2nd and 4th L11 bridges and that would default your CPU to 1.85v, then you still have the 5%,7.5% and 10% above that.
Hood

Just use conductive paint. Tape off bridges first to stop glue getting on them, then put superglue in the pits to insulate. Once the glue is dry(30secs or so) take the tape off, then join the bridges with conductive paint.
Hood

Back