• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Idle Temperature: 46 C (7VAXP)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TSchmd

I'm using a Zalman ZM-NB32J, and it hasn't significantly lowered my system temperature.

I have 80mm intake and exhaust fans (1 each).

Anybody have any ideas...is this temp. normal?

Where is the temp. for the 7VAXP measured on the northbridge?

This system is currently running stock (133 FSB, 2000+ XP), with arctic silver III between sink and chip...

Last edited:
If its the same as the VRXP the sensor is reported to be up at the top left corner, just under where the PSU would sit in a normal case. I have confirmed this by pointing a fan over the N/B and saw no change but when I put it over the top left corner the temps dropped by 4 deg.
Hood

I used to have the VRXP and a much smaller case, my system temps were a lot lower at the time...

In my experience it is best to have only back exhaust fans and no front intake fans, you want to constantly remove hot air from the case, so if you use a front intake fan, you will just be introducing more warm air into the case.

:rolleyes: Intake fans on the front will be bringing cool air in. Having intake fans = better airflow and cooling. If you don't have intakes then theres no way for cooler air to get into your case. Its just cycling the hot air thats there.

sourskittles said:
try removing a side panel it worked for me with a GA-7VAX so it might work for yours.

Sure, that lowers the temps by quite a bit, but is not a good long term solution due to dust and noise.... (i just installed some noise dampening material).

Also, I just put an electric thermometer inside my case (put the sensor in the middle (width and height)). The sensor is reading only around 32.7 C while my system temp. read with SIV is supposedly 47 C.

Question is if i should bother to remove the NB32J and try to get less thermal paste on it than i have on there now, also when installing i slid the sink around on the chip quite a bit cause the pushpins were a little awckward to get into the MB...maybe this caused uneven thermal paste spreading?

I have a little dust. Should I blow on it to get rid of it or should I use another method to do it?

I only have one rear fan sucking hot air out, no intake fan, if I disconnect the rear fan, CPU temp rises by 8C and board by about 6C. Last time I tried a front intake fan, the temps went up, it's simple, front fans suck in warm air (and dust) from the rest of the room, you end up with a constant stream of warm air over everything. Obviously the design of your case is critical too.

If you can get the front fans at the bottom sucking air and the rear fan at the top blowing out you will have good airflow. If however your fans are at the same level you will be just pulling air straight in and out. Dust will increase with a fan sucking air in but all that means is you have to blast it with an air duster once in a while.
Just my opinion though and everyone has their own ideals on case cooling.
Hood

In my case, I have an intake at the front bottom with a filter behind it and an exaust fan at the top just below my psu.

Positive Air Pressure:
2 intake with dust filter at bottom front of my case, one side intake fan with pseudo filter, two rear exhaust fans with reduced voltage, and lastly two exhaust fans on my psu, one sucking out warm air inside the case and one on the rear blowing out...

positive pressure will keep the dust out while maximizing airflow

mfjonny said:
Positive Air Pressure:
2 intake with dust filter at bottom front of my case, one side intake fan with pseudo filter, two rear exhaust fans with reduced voltage, and lastly two exhaust fans on my psu, one sucking out warm air inside the case and one on the rear blowing out...

positive pressure will keep the dust out while maximizing airflow

Is that really "positive pressure" ? I am thinking that positive pressure would involve the air pressure of the case being (at least slightly) higher than the air pressure outside the case. If you were doing this to eliminate dust entering the case you would need to have the intake air filtered and have your intake pressure higher than your exhaust vacuum. What you're describing sounds like airflow rather than +ve pressure.

Some obvious things being missed here.
For warm air to be sucked in by intake fans the ambient temperature would have to be higher than the case temperature.
From laws of thermodynamics this is impossible. The case will eventually reach thermal equilibrium with the surroundings ie. be at the same temperature. Then as the CPU and other components produce heat, the case temp will rise above the ambient temperature.
If you ditch the intake fan and keep an exhaust fan, air will still get sucked in due to the negative pressure gradient, it just won't be forced in.

Final thing to say though is that sometimes there is no logic to how your systems temps behave. For example if I turn off my case cooling, my cpu temp drops a couple of degrees but my NB temp goes up about 6c!!!!!!!
So it looks like trial and error is the way to go.....like most practical engineering solutions!!!!
HTH,
Ben.

Back