• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disappointing 5V mod with A7N8X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommelrommel

Well, the 5V mod has raised my voltages a *bit* but not as much as I expected.

At full load, my 5V line stays up around 4.88, where before it would get down around 4.75-4.80. Improved, but not by much.

Idle voltages are up a similar amount...

Also, I lapped/remounted my northbridge heatsink... the darned thing basically wasn't even touching the core. A good 3/4 of the core was so far off of the heatsink that no thermal compound was even touching:(

My board stays at 4.95v without the mod. Do you have a decent power supply?
I took the northbridge h/s off, removed the thermal pad, and put silicon paste in its place (all before its first boot). Checked it for good contact and the whole northbridge was evenly coated. I never lapped it.

I have an Enermax 365VE. The voltage on my 5V line as tested by my very accurate Fluke multimeter says that my 5V lines are are 5.02. As soon as I attach the 5V line out of my PS to my modded MOSFET's the two kind of even out. My idle voltages are 4.92-4.95, like yours, but I run folding 24/7 so the computer is never at idle.

My next mod is going to be the northbridge VDD mod, because I can't even boot at FSB's higher than 194 regardless of multiplier.

Sorry, should have specified that the 4.95v I get is under load. I idle at 4.97-5.00v (it fluctuates more when idle, how weird...). I fold 24-7 too.

Back