• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8K5A2, CPU diode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFZ24

Registered
Im searching for a way to enable the on board CPU diode on my 8K5A2.

A quote from....
http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/motherboards/epox8k5a2p/printpics.shtml

"At first, when I installed the CPU and ran a few benches, I wanted to see the CPU temp and I was amazed how low that was compared to the same CPU on a 8K3A board. I have asked EPoX about the temperature difference and they said that the 8K3A boards read the Athlon XP internal diode, while the 8K5A2+ does not. That seemed a bit strange, it is like a step back and makes no sense, so I asked again. Seems like EPoX 8K5A2+ still reads the on-die diode but it displays the temp read from the thermistor. Simple as that.

The on-die diode is used to prevent the CPU from getting fried, and it has a pre-defined temp on which the board will shut down. In BIOS, MBM5 and all other hardware monitoring programs the socket thermistor temperature is displayed so that there are no more whining about high temps. You can even set the board to shut down on a thermistor temp, for increased safety. Still, I prefer the old way where the on-die diode was used for all temp readings."

If this is true then its hiding in the background and there should be a way to show it..... Id like to display CPU diode temp.

To me CPU temp is just as important as my 5v and 12v readings. I dont care if its protecting my CPU in the background.... I would like to see it in MBM instead. I know for a fact that my 1800+ "A" ran a cpu diode temp of 60C at max OC (not just on my epox)..... and it would be nice to know this instead of what the MB diode tells me.... 23C.

If anyone knows of a way to enable this I would appreciate
the information. Thank you.

Back