• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 Quick Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike360000

Hi all,
3 quick questions:
There was an article here by Ed or someone about a couple months ago concerning the MCH and it not being cooled enough, which was causing hangs and crashes. I've looked on the main page and it's not there anymore. Does anyone know where I can find this article again? I'd really like to reread it and ask a few followup questions about it.

Second: What was/is the maximum memory bandwith of the intel cpu? I'm thinking it was 6.2 GBs, but I'm not sure.

Last; What is the max memory bandwith of the AMD Athlons?

Thanks and Cheers,
Mike

first - never read it.. :(

second & third - to work out memory bandwidths use the FSB or Host clock in this case and multiply it by 8

so intels current Northwood has a 533MHz FSB - so 533 * 8 = 4262 or just 4.2GB (rounded) their future Northwoods with 800MHz FSB and the Prescotts with 800MHz FSB will be on the same premise, 800 * 8 = 6.4GB

amd... :) - if you have the Palamino or an older Thoroughbred then 266 * 8 = 2.1GB and if you have a later Thoroughbred or a Barton then 333 * 8 = 2.7GB - I think they are making a 400MHz Barton, but at the same time I could just be making that up :) - and im sure the Athlon64s will start with a 400MHz bus : ill go read up on that and edit if necessary

ninthebin
"first - never read it.. :("

You missed a real good article!
I was aiming to copy it because I had wondering about that very thing anyways, how heat of the MCH limits oc'ing.
But I forgot to save it at the time, and then forgot about it completely. Now I really need that article as a reference.

"second & third - to work out memory bandwidths use the FSB or Host clock in this case and multiply it by 8

so intels current Northwood has a 533MHz FSB - so 533 * 8 = 4262 or just 4.2GB (rounded) their future Northwoods with 800MHz FSB and the Prescotts with 800MHz FSB will be on the same premise, 800 * 8 = 6.4GB"

OK thanks I was a little off.
But what I was wondering; Wasn't there a limit on how much memory bandwith the cpu could accept at some point? Like for example, we can oc all the timings you gace and increase the bandwith, so is there a limit on what the cpu could take? Not counting any limitations for the ram, busses....etc. itself...

Cheers,
Mike

Back