• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to start.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimbo64

Registered
I've been reading the threads here for years, and even made most of my computer parts purchases based on what I've read here.

But around christmas, I had a fan header fail on my Epox board, which cooked the CPU and the board.

With no net access, I went to my local PC store, and got talked into buying the A7N8X. They both said they were running the same board and it was a "Dreamboard".

When I built my Epox rig, DDR was new, and I went with 2 of the Crucial 256 meg PC2100 sticks.

I have a MSI Ti-4200 128 meg AGP vid card, and a 350 watt power supply. (both new)

I'm running the xp2100+ CPU, a WD 100gig HDD, and a Fireball 20 gig Quatum.

My problem is, when I set up these componants together, I get tons of problems.

Games that Flash like lighting striking the horizon, memory test failures, The monitor wont fire up, I have apps that just close, (ones that use DirectX drivers). And the great BSOD. The worst being told that "the video card couldnt complete a write process, check for newer drivers" I'm running the newest drivers and have tried the betas, the next version older, you name it.

Am I just running something that isnt compatable with my new board?

Any help would be great, and forgive my "Newbie-ism".
(ps, I havent tried the 2/26/03 1002 final bios)

C-ya, Jimbo.

Are you running your system at default or overclocking it? If you're overclocking that ram may not go much higher than 133. The early pc2100 modules would hit a wall around 145-150. What OS are you running?

are you running the latest drivers for the motherboard off of asus website? and you formatted the drive when you installed everything on the new board right? you didnt just switch boards? Also get the newest bios it helps a lot.... check your ram settings in advanced chipset features... see waht the timings are at and all.

Everyone forgot to mention that this board is just kinda flakey also....

Took me about an hour just to get mine to power up when i built it. Wouldn't post. Reseated Ram about a dozen times, reset bios about a dozen times. I still can't remember exactly i did to get it to post.

Then i went through it not wanting to reboot. It would not post after a reboot. Still now, i cannot turn it off and let it get cold. If i do, it wont post.

Think i'll get a MSI or ABIT next time. Maybe soon....

When I got my board I went to wallmart and bought a new battery for it and sat down for about 20 min and set it all up....plugged everything in and it booted 1st time....everytime....the only prob I have is with the built in Flash....It won't let me type in a BIOS name...have to boot with 98 boot disk and start "awdflash.exe 1002.bin" and it will flash but when it's done it won't restart I have to hit the reset button....but other than that I hae yet to have any problems...

Yes, I've run all the upgraded software/drivers, with no luck. I think I'm just gonna buy a few more parts and set it up as a 3rd rig, and tinker with it as tips become available. I just a have a few apps that run at lightining speed on that board, with the DDR memory, that are slugs on straight ram chips.

Thanks for all the insight.

C-ya, Jimbo.

Back