• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512 MB or 1 GB Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

avihai007

Registered
what you say i think that i will take thise:
Kingston HyperX PC-3000 DDR 370Mhz 256M X2 = 512MB

or
Kingston HyperX PC-3000 DDR 370Mhz 512M X2 = 1 GB

does it(the 1 GB) worth extra 80$

Thanks fo the quickly answer

and what you say about those memory(the Kingston)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you think you actually need a gig of ram it is sure. I know for me I find it hard to use all 512 mb if try doing my everyday functions on the comp.

subconcept said:
If you think you actually need a gig of ram it is sure. I know for me I find it hard to use all 512 mb if try doing my everyday functions on the comp.

I agree...even on winxp it's hard to use all 512mb of ram...with 1 gb, however, you won't have to worry about memory upgrades for quite a while...but then by the time you will need an upgrade, 512mb of pc3000 will probably be cheaper.

yea i have to go with everbody else i'd get 512mb now and i hear memory price are gonna drop another 10-20 % so hold out til then and get the rest of the ram then.

If you play Battlefield 1942, i'd recommend going with 1gb. Otherwise, i can't think of too many programs that would really justify having that much memory. But then again, it never hurts to have more :)

In my 3D program I literally have to be careful to keep scenes small enough to fit in my physical RAM. I have 512 (2x256) and am about to add another 512 (1 stick).

If you're going for 512, do it on one stick. Might get a few more MHz fsb because of it.

Also, if you're going to be running two sticks, I highly recommend Corsair's Twin Pack memory. I've seen some reviews comparing the Twin Pack to running two sticks of memory (same brand/type, of course) and there was a little extra boost from Corsair's matched pair.

Back