• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reducing amount of memory from 1gig to 512mb causes crash?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xgman

I need some suggestions on how to fix this swap file problem. At least I think it is swap file related.

Win XP. I currently have a separate partition for my pagefile set at 1400mb minimum and maximum size. I am running 512MB ram x 2 in dual.

If I reduce the size of ram, either 256x2 or 1 512, I get a Blue Screen and crash before getting to desktop with the error RDR_FILE_SYSTEM pwd_2K.sys each time. I have tried changing to "let windows manage swap" or lowering the size a bit before this, but still same problem. I have also seen the message "Dumping Physical Memory to Disk" with a # countdown and something like "parport.sys" as well.

Short of a fresh install, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this. I should be able to re-start with different sizes of ram both more and less, without this sort of problem. Any ideas??

Back