• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mixing ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frisco204

is it good to mix 2 different brands of ram together. i have pc2700 256mb samsung ram and i added a pc2700 512 crucial ram. i'm planning to overclock more. i'm at 150x11.5 and i can't go any further.

it's not bad, but it could affect your overclock as their capabilities might be different...all ram cards capabilities are different, but with the same brand, it's not such a difference in most cases.

nerdlogic said:
it's not bad, but it could affect your overclock as their capabilities might be different...

The castle is as strong as its weakest wall.

Other than that, there are no problems. If you have a 512meg stick, and 128 meg stick, try to OC the 512 stick to the max first, then try to boot it at the same speed with both sticks. If it doesnt work, I say ditch the 128 stick. And so on...

im not planning to overclock a 512 stick of 256...adding it onto my crucial....so would getting a generic brand be bad?...i mean would it run slower at stock speeds?..im not gonna oc it....i just want more...

generic ram tends to have a bad rep...i believe that generic ram runs slower that what it's rated for...but adding more to that 256 will help if you're running anything over win98se.

yeah i know, everything is quicker and loading time for appz and games improved. both crucial and samsung are running at aggressive timing.

Back