• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X and glitchy Video/sound/mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clash

I thought that my video card was going bad. But playing a song right now on the puter and everytime i see the HD light flash, the sound stumbles. The Graphics stumble also when ever the HD spins..It's like the mouse cursor hit a snag for a split second then continues on, till the HD moves again..

Not using anything special, basic Sound that Came with MB. nVidia geForce 4 card.
It used to do this in windows, now i only use Linux and it does it in this too...

Anybody know whats up with that?

Glitches

I used to have a system that did that and it wound up being a conflict in the drivers. I think it was the audigy sound card drivers.
Try uninstalling each driver at a time or update them and see if that helps.
good luck

Linux drivers. I did the same thing when i ran windows.

Allthough, i guess the drivers are the same version for windows as they are for linux. I will see if i can get a older version and see if that helps any.

Odd thing though, the graphic card did not do this in the old MB. I've swapped parts around, tried it with a SB Live 5.1, and with the Onboard Sound. No matter what i canhge it still does it.

Wonder if it's a DMA thing, on the HD.

rule of thumb

I will share a hard learned trick with you. I have been building computers for 12 years. I have used all brand of MOBO and other components. When I run into a "CANT FIND THE PROBLEM" thing,.... I reformat and reload windows with JUST.... the video card installed. I do not even load the drivers for it. I run the system and see how it does. If ok I install video drivers. then install each card and driver one at a time. Run the system and check it out after each piece is installed. You will find the problem this way. It just takes time and patience.
Good Luck

It does it with just the Video card installed. Windows and Linux.
It does it before ya load the drivers too...

Changed MB's and it was like flipping a switch. It just started to get bad results.

I went to the bios and turned everything off that i could find. It still does it. I think it is a DMA thing myself. But cannot locate where to change the DMA in bios.

DMA OR IRQ

One other thing I can think of to try.... go to control panel, system and then properties and check on driver and resources for each item in your system list. On the resources tab you can check to see if there are any conflicts. If you find a conflict there you will know where it is. One other thing,,,,, do you have another video card.... even a pci that you can put in to boot the system on. I would borrow one even if it is low end and try with that. If it still does it check memory. The only thing left after that is the cpu. You can send mobo, mem, and cpu to your supplier and they can check to see if they have any glitches in them.
I know this is frustrating .....but it is the wayof the computer builder.
good luck

Linux does not have a control panel....

I've been building puters myself for round about 20 years. Experiance tells me its a DMA conflict somewhere. Things were alot simpler back when every card had dip pins on it, and you KNEW what everything was set at...

Guess i better put down the guitar and dive into it.

i have the soundcard problem when it glitches in counter-strike at anything over 166 fsb

I get the video problem at 210FSB, no problems at 205 so I think it is a FSB issue and the mobo topping out.

Back