• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Bang/Buck Mobo, CPU, Graphics Combination

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Grouch

Hola all :D

Well it seems time to pull out the plastic and upgrade the ?wares. My P3 machine is just to slow to be useful for day to day use and will be perfect for a web server / unix plaything. My PowerMac G3?my main machine?also running out of steam; photoshop / illustrator / dreamweaver don?t run like they used to? I would love to eventually get one of them new PowerBooks, but in the meantime I?d like to build a box to run said apps as well as do some gaming.

I?d like this box to be cheap but have enough mustard to be useful for a few years.

I already have a case (AMS gmono), PSU (thermaltake 420 W), and ram (2x256M PC2700) and hard/optical drives scavenged from other machines. Basically what I need is a mobo, cpu, and video card. I?m willing to spend for quality but don?t really want to spend more than $300 for these three components. I want to know what you guys think would give me the best bang/buck (overclocked of course :D)

So far I have come up with these possibilities:

? T-bred 2100+, Epox 8RDA+ or A7N8X, and NewEgg refurb 8500 or Ti 4200

? T-bred 1700+, cheap KT333 or 400 refurb, and R 9700

Any advice, criticism, what ever much appreciated.

i think the best bang for the buck currently is:

1700+ tbred-b $50

epox-8k9aI - kt400, lan, sound(but only 2 channel), very overclockable $70

radeon 9500 w/64mb ram $140 - w/ 128mb ram $160

total = $260 - $280, still a little left for a decent heatsink/fan if you don't already have it, i suggest a vantec aeroflow for efficient quiet operation or a thermalright SLK for performance with a loudish fan

Last edited:
I would have to say

1700+
epox 8rda (non +)
radeon 8500LE

Or of you wanted to keep the system longer

2100+
epox 8rda
radeon 9500
This setup would be over the $300 budget though

Back