• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random reboots?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vdubpsu

after doing some research the only thing i can conclud that it could be is:
-single stick of pc2700 kingston 512mb
-not formating after installing new mobo, i just did a repair install over my old copy of xp.
-or driver?!

what do u guys think could be causing this? the most likley suspect seems to be the memory

im trying to reach 166x8.5 stable and then overclock from there.

here is my stuff;
epox 8rda+
1400 thunderbird
wd se 80gb
geforce2 mx 400, soon to be radeon 9700pro
antec truepower 430

Last edited:
Could be the power supply too...

But most likely the ram. You have XP? Turn off automatic reboot (system properties, advanced, the middle button, "reboot on failure"). If you get errors instead of reboots, most likely it's the ram. Could be drivers, but since you did a full reinstall, it's unlikely.

If you just get reboots, probably the power supply.

oh yea i have an antec true power 430. i dont think its the ps.

Last edited:
just becuase you have a good name, quality psu doesn't meant that it won't have issues:eek:

nunez1980 said:
just becuase you have a good name, quality psu doesn't meant that it won't have issues:eek:

i never had problems with it with my kt400 board. anyways, i took of the automatic reboot, and i get the blue screen of death, which leads me to believe its not my ps, and possibly my install or memory

doubt thats the problem, but it is possible (sb/nb).

It should do 166 out of the box, and a "tad warm" shouldn't be a problem on the sb.

Now the mosfets... if one of those were screwy, you would more likely get random freezes 9I would think), since they regulate the vcore, and a lower vcore causes freezing, where a higher one just causes heat.

Borrow some memory from a friend, see if that works. If your at a college, knock on a few doors. Worked for me.

Randem Reboot Probably due to overlay.

I would bet with confidence that your random reboot problem is due to installing over the top of your previous install (for sure if it was a via type system). Anyhow, I had a very similar problem with one my machines when I installed over the top of a previous windows install when I put in a new gigabyte GA-7vaxp m/b. I installed from scratch and wala! No more random reboots. Actually my system performance improved a ton! Just my 2 cents worth.

oh.. you didn't do a full reinstall after changing so much hardware?

Redbird is right, thats probably your problem right there. While it's possible to clean out al the old stuff, most likely you missed something, and it's decided to be a pain.

Do a full reinstall.

<---- didn't do fresh install when upgrade from 8kha+ to 8rda+..

however, it is definately good to do a fresh install always.

at 166 im still getting random reboots. the ram was rock solid in my kt400 board. could it just be that the nforce2 doesnt like my ram?

its kingston pc2700. not great, but ok stuff. i think its set at optimal 7 3 3 ? i can check for u guys if u want.

*rda boards dont like cas 3 settings i would use 2.5 before i tried 3. 7 3 3 2.5

Back