• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR Newb!! eeek

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberFed

Ok i just picked up a cheap 1.6a chip and i wanna go DDR (i've never ran it just had rambus) and i really dont know much about dd4 ram so here goes... i wanna run a mobo that will handle 512 ddr 333 pc 2700.... whats the *best* for *o/cing* mem out there? corsairXMS pc3500? Product No.s of modules i should look at would be greatly appreciated.

From what I've read and experienced, the XMS3200 and XMS3500 sticks do really well. Make sure you get sticks that are rated for operating at CAS 2 rather than 2.5. You can get the Low Latency (LL) sticks which are certified to run at tighter timings than regular XMS sticks. However, you'll pay a premium for it.

~THT

where can i read an article on how to overclock ddr using the dvolt, or whatever it's called, or how to set timings? Not just an explanation like the sticky at the top. I mean an indepth article on an actual overclock setting parameters? Also, xms3500 is rated at 433mhz, when i saw someone saying that xms3200 is 200mhz while corsair states their xms3200 runs at 400mhz. That royally confuses me. I'm an rdram, and i'm planning out a new ddr system to build.

Royal, the problem with your request is that every system overclocks uniquely. As far as memory timings go, the lower the number, the better the performance (except bus speed). Here's a quick rundown of how I overclocked my RAM. First, I set the vdimm to the highest voltage I was comfortable with (2.8). Then, I set all my settings to what Corsair recommends. Then, I raised my FSB as high as I could. After that was done, I went back and tightened the timings, one at a time.

As for the speed confusion, what was meant by XMS3200 running at 200MHz was that it is running 400MHz DDR. XMS3500 is rated to run 433MHz DDR but in the BIOS, you'll set it to half that number. Hope that makes some sense.

~THT

Back