• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIP switch question on 7axp ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SenorBeef

Ok, I assume the 7axp ultra sold on newegg.com now is based on the rev 1.1 board, with the DIP switch.

Can someone clear something up for me?

I read a review that said the way the dip switches work is that you can set it to 100 or auto. If you set it to auto, it autodetects if you have a 133 or 166 cpu, and then sets the range based on that.

From posts here, it seems like you can select 166 directly from the dip switch. So are there 3 settings, 100, 133, and 166? Or 2? 100 and auto?

The Rev1,2 VAXP and the Ultra dont have the dip anymore(bad move by Gigabyte) but you can fit one yourself and with 1 off and 2 on you will get 166. Have a look for my post further down the page(who wants 166 on the VAXP Ultra), it links to a guy that has done it and supplies photos.
Hood

Hmm.. anyone know if the 7axp on newegg.com is the rev 1.1? I guess I can email them.

So, if I can get a rev 1.1 ultra board, I definitely will be able to run 166+ fsb with a t-bred 2100+?

No the Ultra doesnt have the dip for 166, it is the Rev 1.1 of the plain VAXP that has it.
Hood

Newegg doesn't sell the vers.1.1 anymore. I ordered my board from them, and got the 1.2. In my opinion, you are better off with the 1.2 board, as the muliplier selection now goes to 18x. Version 1.1 only went to 12.5x. Add a switch and you can select 166Mhz for your FSB.

What do you mean "add a switch and you can select 166 mhz for your fsb"? What switch?

The previous ultra versions go to 18x with the dip switches, but not the non-ultra versions. I think they maxed out at 12x or 13x, but they only had 5 dips compared to the ultra's 6. At first I didn't like the dip switches, but I got used to them and they're okay.

Back