• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHat memeory will be needed for 800FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tw00sh

What memory is going to be needed to run the new IBM chips at FSB of 800Mhz? Is that PC3500? Or is there going to be chips at something in the 600 range first? maybe PC3000 ?

Just want to plan ahead with my next ram purchase.

Err, I meant the p4's :D I want to get new memory, but want to maybe last another generation. Do you think they will go with 664FSB chip, or quad pump 166?

i don't have a clue. i dont really bother keeping up with p4's since i dont have enough money or the want to buy one
btw, your avatar is tight. i think that's the car i saw at the detroit auto show last month

'Stangs rule! :D

I really hope Ford changes the interior, though. Keep that fancy retro interior garbage for the T-Bird. The retro exterior is great (in the hardtop, at least), but that interior really does not look like what a sports car should.

Anyway, Intel will be going for the 800MHz bus as its next step, which will use Dual Channel DDR400. What you'll need is 2 sticks of PC3200 for it, but then that would leave no room for overclocking. You'll need some FAST memory to keep up with the fsb (or you could slow the memory down, but that's lame). Think about it: a 3.6GHz chip on a 200MHz bus (800MHz effective) would have an 18x multiplier. Each MHz increase in the bus would only be 18 more MHz on the CPU, so you'll be able to increase the bus quite a bit (if the chip in question here overclocks like my 2.4B does).

Quick summary: 800MHz bus = Requires PC3200 to run the memory in sync; PC3500, PC3700, or whatever the fastest stuff is at the time for overclocking room.

stump jumpers 100% corect I think intel is blowing us overclockers off. no memory will handle much higher than 200 fsb at least till ddr 2 is launched. the intel chipsets will be great for sure but with liminited fsb overclocking ability and locked multipliers there isn't much us overclockers have to look forward to with intel.

true. except for blazing fast speed with little tweaking or risk and stability problems :)

but its half the fun, the risk that is, until you toast an expensive piece of hardware :)

Back