• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X Deluxe chipset voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The uber bios does something, but exactly what is a mystery. My board measured 1.59 before and around 1.67 after flashing to the uber bios - regardless of what setting I chose for the chipset voltage. I should add this is with the latest version of the uber bios, not the first one. My board would not even post at 207 with the old bios, but now I can run all the way up to 220 rock solid.

Top Hat Theater said:
and the Uber BIOS option doesn't actually change it?

~THT
On all my boards, uber did nothing to the VDD voltage, remained 1.58V no matter the setting.

same with all of mine, I still would love to see a multi meter reading tc of your 1.67V!!!! Also are you running out of synch..?? I have yet to see an asus a7n8x delux board run 220fsb rock stable period, which means running loops of prime 95 and 3dmark2001. Best I have seen at over 1.9V on the north and 2.9+V on the ddr was 212 rock stable. That is a huge leap you have made! Not attacking you or anything but on setting ect.. I never beleive anything until I see the test results. What is your 3dmark score? what vid card..?

After flashing to the 1002A uber, I can run my system at 216x11. I was stuck at 204x11.5 with the 1001C that the board came with and this is without any volt mods. My 3dmark2003 score is an even 4900 with a stock Radeon 9700.

~THT

Accurate said:
I have yet to see an asus a7n8x delux board run 220fsb rock stable period

Here ya go :D

If it weren't for the Dam A2 NB stepping I am sure I could go higher. It is no easy feat on this board though, you are right accurate, if it weren't for an actively cooled Sink on the SB, Watercooling on the NB and 2.01 volts to the SB this wouldn't be possible. I am also running 3v Vdimm as I am using no-name PC3200 (Winbond Bh-5 chips) running @ 2/2/2/5 timings. I did a relaxed run of 3dmarks @ 438/371 as well as a relaxed overclock of the CPU (the chip can do 2400mhz), notice I am running only @ 2210mhz. I really wanted to see if the board would run in DC mode @ 220 and it seems to be doing just fine. At least good enough for me to Bench :D BTW I had to drop down 1 FSB to pass 3dmarks, so my highest stable is 220 in DC mode.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Last edited:
How do you know what stepping your NB is without removing the heatsink?

My SB says A3. Does that automatically means my NB is, too?

This is a little bit off topic, but I didn't get an answer on the sticky. So ask it here since it is related to the Vdd chipset mod.

Does the Vdd chipset mod, say to 1.8 - 1.85 V, affects the South Bridge voltage, and consequently the South Bridge temperature.

Currently I do not have any cooling on the South Bridge. Do I need to care about putting in additional cooling on the South Bridge to test out the Vdd chipset mod.

BTW, my stock chipset Vdd voltage is 1.53 +- 0.03 V (calibrated to the voltage reading in the bios).

I am running 211 MHz FSB stable at stock chipset Vdd.

The southbride gets hot on the Nforce boards with the Nforce MCP-T (Nforce audio) s/b at stock speeds. Many say even hotter than the northbridge. Overclocking probably makes it hotter (dunno if the PCI lock prevents that or not). Dont know about the VDD mod raising the s/b voltage,either.... :D

If the Vdd chipset voltage goes to both NB and SB, and Vdd is increased from 1.5x to 1.85 V which is about 20% increase. Then the SB power consumption will be increased by about 44%.

The SB is pretty hot without HS. With Vdd chipset voltage increase and if it also goes to the SB, it will get even hotter (44% more power). I wonder how many who did the Vdd chipset mod had added HS or cooling of some sort to the SB.

Maybe this is a reason that would kill the SB when Vdd get above 1.9 V or so. Since people who did Vdd chipset mod paid more attention to the cooling of the NB which also has at least a default HS.

Back